Adding Surcharges to Credit Card Purchases

Page 2 of 3

It's the law in Canada.
On 10/25/2013 12:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

Turns out it is in US, too...see other subthread where updated. Conditions different than for CCs, but if one reports timely then it is covered.

I don't have a problem with charges. I want to pay cash and keep the money in my pocket. It you want to use a middle man service for your finances, you should pay for it.
Shoe store I buy from offers 5% discount for cash. Recently, I made purchases in excess of $1000 from two local merchants. I offered them my debit card or a check. They chose the check.

That's up to the seller. You have the choice of buying somewhere cheaper or not at all, of course. Note that there are advantages for the seller, too.

Did someone here have an issue with that? I know a restaurant that would rather take an out-of-state check than a credit card. Odd, but the owner said he'd never been stiffed so it was a good deal.
On 10/24/2013 4:19 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote: ...

+about 235... :)
We've used CC since college days but have paid any interest only a half-dozen times when some unforeseen scheduling circumstance caused a payment to be late a day or so in the olden days when mail was the only manner by which to do business...I'd estimate in that 50 yr period total would be <$100.
It simply is far easier than carrying cash or writing individual checks at every establishment or gas station and gives a few days to weeks "float" on the side. That isn't of much value these days w/ 0-interest essentially, but in "normal" times that also added up...
If it isn't on open account locally or w/ cc traveling or at places that don't have accounts, basically I don't do it 'cuz I've never got more than $40-50 in cash and generally far less than that and I don't carry the checkbook routinely...
A half-dozen checks a month as opposed to a bunch is a no-brainer for me...

MOST places don't take personal checks any more - and extremely few will take an "out of town" check..
On 10/24/2013 8:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Some places will with an ID and they run it through a (pay for) service that guarantees the check. Not sure of the details.
It is also possible for a merchant to electronically deposit your check virtually immediately so there is no longer any float. Quick as a debit card.

Not done up here - Debit is king. I don't debit but my wife does occaisionally, and daughters regularly
On 10/24/2013 10:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

There are places like Aldi which will not process credit cards you must use it as a debit card. ^_^
TDD
On 10/24/2013 11:34 PM, The Daring Dufas wrote: ...

In which case it stays on the shelf... :)

On 10/24/2013 11:44 PM, dpb wrote:

I happen to like Aldi and my Visa card works both ways so I've had to remember my pin number. My card works at the teller window at my bank and I don't have to write a check anymore to get cash at my bank. I do see a problem with becoming a cashless society. It would mean that the government could tell you that you must do something and if you refused, your money would be turned off. I now see that coming with health care. o_O
TDD
On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 00:31:31 -0500, The Daring Dufas

At the rate we are going, they can eliminate the fees on card and just take 3% of our income when direct deposited and GIVE it to the banks. I just don't like the idea they are getting a piece of everything we do. Sure, I use card for convenience at times, but try to use cash for anything under $100, more if I plan ahead to carry extra cash..
On 10/25/2013 4:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Taxation without representation. Amazing what people will give up for convenience and some perceived safety. ^_^
TDD

I think the founding fathers would weep, if they could see the level of federal management of every thing in our lives.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
I do

I haven't got the source, but I do remember some about the new plan wants your bank account number, so that they can make automatic payments from your account.
As to shutting off money, no party line Democrat would have anything to fear from the government.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

The government has always been able to shut off the money -- declaring "bank holidays" during the 1929 depression, for example. See: http://www.ushistory.org/us/49a.asp
If you don't like the government's money, switch to bitcoin. It's completely uncontrolled.
Tomsic

None of them here -- there is one at one of kid's places of residence; don't even recall which one, now. The one card is AC/DC but I don't know the PIN and never will....in fact, this reminds me that I don't think I ever activated it when they sent the new one. I ought to try the CC side and make sure it's working just in case. I normally use a different one only on rare occasions use the other (the one accumulates miles into the long-term FF acc't so just keep on w/ it even though no longer in consulting gig travel is way down it does pay for a family trip every year or so--daughter and sil flew here from Olympia last winter using those miles that couldn't have done themselves. And I just do (and will) not routinely carry significant amounts of cash.
Actually, the law recently changed on this.
Starting this year, retailers can now charge extra for using a credit card.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/28/us-creditcard-settlement-fees-idU SBRE90R14U20130128
I think this is a good thing. Credit card companies charge the retailer, so that company should pass that charge on to people who use credit cards. Cr edit cards are not free.
--

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:10:44 AM UTC-7, Guv Bob wrote:
> This is a result from my recent dealing with a plumber who tried to add a
On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:26:27 PM UTC-4, bill snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Yeah, I don't see why people have a problem with this. It's another example of big govt getting involved where they have no business being. If a gas station wants to charge 5 cents more for credit cards, why shouldn't they be allowed to? It's their business. They have to pay the credit card company an additional fee. If I'm willing to pay cash, why should I have to bear the cost of others who choose to use a credit card.
And every place I've been, where there are businesses that charge an extra fee, there have been plenty of others that you could chose to go to that don't. Around here, NJ, the only ones doing it that I've seen are gas stations. Plenty of them, most probably, don't charge extra.

Around here, it's called consumer protection and we've fought long and hard for the laws that finally give the average consumer some way to avoid being screwed by merchants and companies who are only too happy to tack on fees just because. The airlines have become particularly good at such things.
You may live in a city where there is plenty of competition. That's fine; but a rural area or small town with a couple of gas stations is not a hot bed of competition -- especially if the owners talk to each other at the monthly C of C meetings. I don't want the government to do everything for me; but I do want a level playing field and a fighting chance to get a fair deal.
Tomsic