AC: Heatpump gone mad? Help please

My wife and I had a heatpump installed last winter. Our utility bills immediately went up. Since the summer began we are now paying three times what we did before for electricity. The person who installed it says nothing is wrong with it and he can't understand our utility bills - he says they're due to something besides the heat pump. It seems to run all the time and never really gets the temperature down as much as we would like. Also, there is a LOT of condensation on the inside at the blower. Can anybody offer any suggestions? Thank you

Reply to
Jerry Salley

Could be over- or under-charged. Could be a dirty air filter. Could be your dog scratching fleas by the return air grill has plastered the evaporator coil with dog hair. Could be too many supply vents closed. Could be inadequate ductwork. Could be blower speed incorrectly set. Could be it's hotter there this summer. Could be an equipment mismatch. Could be an equipment sizing error. Could be heating elements energized. Could be a dirty condenser coil. Could be that the utility rates went up. Could be a combination of the above.

Of these, the first to check would be the air filter, then the refrigerant charge. Many third rate techs don't know how to charge a system properly, which always pisses me off, since this is the most basic hvac issue, and it isn't very hard to learn. cowboy would be one of those who you wouldn't want to have check the charge.

Call another company out and post back their words of wisdom for us.

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

I had about made up my mind to get another company out here tomorrow anyway, so what's you've said convinced me. I'll let you know what they tell me. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Jerry Salley

No problem. Ask them if they know what subcooling is, and if they are going to check it. If they draw a blank send them packing. Update me when they've left.

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

cowboy posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

I won't say a word... but RP is correct...

Reply to
Tekkie®