AC compressor

Page 3 of 4

That reminds me. Didn't you pay them to find and repair the leak, already? If it's still leaking. Either the tech didn't actually repair the leak. Or there is a leak he didn't find. Or there is a leak that is new.
In any case, a call back is a good idea.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 8/26/2010 7:03 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

Sometimes I have to isolate sections of a system and pressurize it with nitrogen to determine if it's leaking in a particular segment. The service valves at the condensing unit can be closed therefore isolating the line set and evaporator. I'll pressurize it to at least 100lbs and watch the gauge or use my ultrasonic leak detector or sniffer if a bit of Freon is in the mix. The Mark I Eyeball and HE-II Ear are often the only tools needed to find a leak in conjunction with the F1 Finger. 8-)
TDD

So now if the wire is smaller it dances more? What do you figure, the electrons are closer together?
I'm reminded of a joke, I'm about to make up. Bill Gates, a pollack, an engineer, and a meterologist are sitting in a room. The one of them asks if it's raining. Bill Gates whips out a PDA, connects to the internet, and looks at a radar map. Says it's not raining. The engineer takes a large piece of plastic. Builds a frame, balance point, and connects the other end of the support to a reverse reading mass scale. He extends this out the window. The liner acceleration of gravitational impulses of descending precipitation are negligible. So, he concludes it is not raining. The meterologist calls the NOAA phone number, listens through the recorded message. And concludes it is not raining. The pollack opens the door, steps outside, and comes back in wet. He brings back in the engineer's device (which was under the eaves). Reports that it is raining. The other three gang up and pound the stuffing out of the pollack, while calling him a liar.
Yeah, I'm sure the wires wiggle. Heck, it only makes sense.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Did you mean? Polock? Which is a racist word for our fine Polish countrymen...
You.....! My friend, are a pure bred racist
How do you get off calling yourself a MORMON? HUH? Do all Mormons use racial epitaphs, like you?
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 15:11:56 -0600, LQQK_N0 snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Paddy Waggin) wrote:

No he was talking about a fish -- the pollock fish.

How's that webtv working out for you

Did you join a perfect church? If so, it's not perfect anymore.
I've met some hot Mormon females. It was Shock -n-Awe.
On 8/24/2010 3:36 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

A walking, talking fish is too valuable to beat up.
TDD

From what I remember them saying the wire was one size to small, they couldnt fit the 3 or however many wires they put in at the proper gauge. I remember they had a hard time pulling the wires. Maybe they used 2-12ga on a 3 ton and about 65-70ft of run, It rattles inside , ive checked the sound at the pipe, thats how I can also tell its cycling on. Well the tech came out and disconnected the timer that was needed for my old round analog Honywell and he said it was empty on freon. They fixed a leak about 3 weeks ago so he did the call for free. Well now I have another leak, I will just wait to see what happens, maybe I can avoid any more repairs this year, the date on the unit was 1994.
On 8/24/2010 12:38 PM, ransley wrote:

Yea, #12 is too small for a three ton unit.
TDD
I think they want 10 gage, starting at 2 1/2 tons.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 8/24/2010 6:29 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The nameplate on the condensing unit gives the minimum circuit rating. Wire and install a circuit breaker to match. The circuit breaker is not meant to protect the equipment, it's for protecting the wiring.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

And in motor circuits the circuit breaker protects the wire from short circuits, not overloads. The breaker may be significantly larger than the wire rating. There is overload protection at the motor end of the circuit.
--
bud--

On 8/23/2010 5:47 AM, ransley wrote:

OK, I found several links for you with colored pictures and one even has a little video. The information is good and will give you several excellent images of what the parts look like and info on what they do.
http://toad.net/~jsmeenen/contactor.html
=============================================== http://www.hvac-for-beginners.com/air-conditioner-contactor.html
===============================================http://www.arnoldservice.com /troubleshooting_air_conditioning_problems.htm
http://preview.tinyurl.com/39zcda5 =============================================== TDD
On Aug 22, 10:01pm, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-

Wouldnt the fan run even with a bad capacitor
On 8/23/2010 5:48 AM, ransley wrote:

It may turn slowly while making an unhappy whirring sound or just hum angrily. HVAC equipment can get emotional at times. 8-)
TDD

Is there some specific reason you want to keep fiddling with a unit that is 24 years old and now using a substitute refrigerant for what it was originally charged with ?
After fixing a leak the unit stops working completely ?
I would say you got your 24 years out of the unit and its time to update your installation... Not only will a newer unit of the same size use less energy, they also have better control systems for them now...
~~ Evan

My mistake its a 96, only the second time it broke, its 13 seer and I could not get a new one this year, so its fix it or get a window unit for the room I sleep in.

I'd start by seeing if you have 240v coming into the outside condenser unit. It comes into a relay that gets closed to turn on the compressor. If so, then see if the relay closes and you get 240v on the other side going to the compressor when the system is turned on
On Aug 23, 7:06am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Yes AC power is where I will start at, I cant even find my meter today, but its only 72 out.
It sounds like you're not very experienced with electricity. Do you have a friend, or relative you can call, who has some electrical experience? Some things are best learned from an experienced teacher, rather than on the internet. This is one such.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus