About 3 in one oil??

Page 1 of 2
This is something I am doing at home, besides you guys have a lot of great info that is hard to find elsewhere.
Spring is almost here, and that means fishing - at least for me. I have six spinning reels that I am cleaning and lubing. I use to use white silicon grease, but it tends to harden up a bit. I was wondering if a light oil would maybe do the job better.
The only light oil I know is the 3 in one stuff, but I don't know how it holds up over a year or so. Does it tend to gum up or does it stay thin?
I try to clean and lube my reels once a year when I put on new line.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Bob-tx
OMB wrote:

Here is a great resource
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fishing-reel-lube /
--
PV

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and
drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever."

Try a gun shop, or a sewing-machine repair place.
--
Tegger

On 2/3/13 3:32 PM, Tegger wrote:

Amazon for sewing machine oil out of curiosity. 3 in 1 was in the results. http://tinyurl.com/agfhq3k
On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 15:46:51 -0600, Dean Hoffman

My parents used to have the stuff called "sewing machine oil". In my opinion, it's the same thing as 3 in 1 oil, minus the odor. Oil is oil, it just the thickness that matters.... both of these are a very thin oil.
Why is it called "3 in 1" anyhow? Does anyone know?
I diagree, since ZSTO lasts a lot longer. No clue why they call it three in one.
My parents used to have the stuff called "sewing machine oil". In my opinion, it's the same thing as 3 in 1 oil, minus the odor. Oil is oil, it just the thickness that matters.... both of these are a very thin oil.
Why is it called "3 in 1" anyhow? Does anyone know?
On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 16:18:19 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Because that's the company's name?
http://www.3inone.com /
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote the following on 2/3/2013 5:43 PM (ET):

Maybe now, since it was bought out by the WD40 company. I have in my hand an old 3 oz. can of 3-IN-ONE Household Oil with about an ounce and half left and the company name is Boyle-Midway Inc. New York, NY. 10017.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 2/3/13 4:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/d4upz79
zoom spout oiler is my friend, not costly, long spout easy to get into wierd places

http://tinyurl.com/d4upz79 (which leads to...) http://www.3inone.com/about/history /

Lubricating, penetrating, cleaning.
Greg
On 2/3/2013 7:10 PM, gregz wrote:

Dang! That's why she called her feller by that name! ^_^
TDD

Thank you I hate clicking on weblinks for simple answers that could be explained in a few words!!!
Now, answer me this. Where do you get the babies to make baby oil?

Thank you I hate clicking on weblinks for simple answers that could be explained in a few words!!!
On 2/4/13 2:20 AM, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

So knowing how Ming vases and computer chips are related would be of no interest? http://tinyurl.com/a6jyt82 http://tinyurl.com/agtojre Hint: Connections, James Burke
On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 19:13:57 -0600, Dean Hoffman

Enjoyed that show. I wish they would do another series of them. Perfume bottles and carburetors comes to mind.
On 2/4/13 9:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

think I had much luck guessing the connections.
On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 16:18:19 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

First of all, 3 in one is NOT sewing machine oil. ANd 3 in one today is different than 3 in 1 20 years ago - and there is more than one 3 in one oil - which just goes to show you, "oil is oil" is not anywhere NEAR true.
There are at least 3 basic types of oil "stock" - with totally different characteristics. Then there are all the additives, and the blends are almost infinite in their possibilities. Some oils oxidize very quickly - some take virtually forever. Some polimerize and form real sticky, waxy fils - others stay liquid. Some absorb moistue - some repel moisture. Some withstand high heat - some high pressure. Some have high film strength - some very low film strength - even with the same viscosity.

It does 3 jobs, stops rust, lubricates, and protects, according to their early advertising copy.
3 in one general purpose oil gums pretty badly.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I agree.
Erik