Aaaaaaargh Hot Tub

Subject: Aaaaaaargh Hot Tub

Please help me diagnose what is wrong with my hot tub so I know what to repair/replace. Several days ago I went to get in my spa. When I opened the cover I found the pump running on high and the water temp above 130 degrees, wow!

My perception is that someone snuck into the tub, left the pump on high and the heat of the pump with the cover closed raised the water temperature. I monitored the spa all day long and ops checked it - all worked fine. This morning I got in. When I turned up the thermostat the pump low speed light came on (and the pump high speed light which shouldn't happen) but instead of the pump coming on low, all I observed was five seconds of humming followed by a click and silence with no indicator lights. Thinking the circuit breaker had popped, I ops checked the spa light and airerator which are on the same circuit, and they worked fine. Next I pushed the console switch to turn the pump on high speed, again five seconds of humming and then a click followed by silence. After about sixty seconds of silence, suddenly the pump comes on high. Had I not already been in the tub, I would have closed it and later found it "on high at an extreme temperature again".

What is going on and how do I fix it or check what is wrong? I have an electrical test meter and am used to fixing basic household electrical problems. The spa definitely uses 220 Volts for heat and I think the pump is only 110 volts but am unsure as all spa functions are on the same 50 amp GFCI 220v double pole breaker.

Today I noticed intermittently when the thermostat tries to start the pump in low speed, both lights (hi & low speed) come on, but there is no water flow. Other times all worked fine.

Thanks in advance for any and all help on this.

Respectfully,

Andy

Reply to
1_Patriotic_Gal

I'm continuing to diagnose the problem -- Typically, resetting the local circuit breaker on the portable spa returns the spa to normal ops -- I suspect some electrical component is starting to fail, but how do I determine which one? Thanks in advance, Andy

Reply to
1_Patriotic_Guy

Why would both the Hi & Lo speed LED lights come on when only one or the other should be on -- I checked and re-checked this.

Reply to
1_Patriotic_Guy

Reply to
DaveG