AAA auto club

Page 3 of 4
On 11/22/2015 4:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

those. And I've had two, possibly three, loosen up.] them to spec, and use the correct

--
.
Christopher A. Young

I've been replacing wheels for 48 years - I've had ONE come loose - and I know I did not use a torque wrench on it. I also know I didn't use the right sequence. I was cold, wet, and tired, on the side of the road in the dark with no flashlight.
On 11/22/2015 5:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Off the top of my head, I can think of two aluminum rims where the lugs loosed up after being torqued with a torque wrench and sequence.
On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 18:09:47 -0500, Stormin Mormon

tapered seat? Steel insert? The ONLY way it can happen is if the rim is not properly seated on the hub flange. The studs don't stretch, the aluminum certainly does not squeeze down, and properly torqued nuts do not turn by themselves.
If the wheel nuts lose torque the wheel was not properly installed. No IFs ANDs or BUTs.
The warning to recheck the wheel nuts is because all too many people don't know to install them properly. Anything indicating aluminum wheels are more subject to this type of failure comes from the old alloy wheels that used flanged nuts (not tapered seats, and no steel inserts) which are also 100% hub-centric.
On 11/22/2015 7:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have, personally, had two cases where the lug nuts loosened after torque wrench and sequence.
One resulted in a wheel that fell off. I'd gone to my mechanic who diagnosed a bad radial on the right front. About ten minutes later, I was enroute to the wrecking yard for a tire, and the left rear fell off.
The second time, I caught the problem on the retorque, and they were all needing some snugging down.
You may explain several more times if you want. But, my real life experience continues to exist.
I find it necessary to retorque, I like do do about 25 miles, and again at 50. I have personally had two cases where the lugs needed tightening.
Awating your reply.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/22/2015 02:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

After growing up with 5 lug wheels I always have a nagging feeling that I'm doing the 4 lug types wrong. I never had one loosen up so I guess I'm okay.
On 11/22/2015 3:26 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

If you're going to start a new thread about your nuts, how's about you take it private with Uncle Monster? <g>

I don't know anything about this rating service but there's a list here: http://roadside-assistance-services-review.toptenreviews.com/ or http://alturl.com/demib Consumer Reports hasn't done a review of these services.

On 11/20/2015 6:10 PM, rumpole wrote:

No personal experience but I know three people that belong to AAA and have had good results when called. Blizzards tend to stress towing companies so consider that in your decision.
I've not joined as my past four cars came with coverage. Used it once when I cut a tire sidewall. Had to wait 30 minutes, but I did not have to change a tire in the rain on a cold December night.

Got Pa. Basic. Only covers about 3 mile tow. I usually pay for couple extra miles, but hardly worth it.
Greg

I have had AAA+ since the early 1980s.
its paid for itself in free tows.
some near a 100 miles.
On 11/21/15 6:11 AM, bob haller wrote:

I haven't had to use the tows yet (knock wood), but have more than gotten my money back just from hotel discount and the money I save on my cell phone.
On 11/21/2015 6:11 AM, bob haller wrote:

Can't comment on TX, not lived there. I'm in western NYS. The AAA plus has been well worth it for me. Used the limit of calls, when I was having vehicle problems. I hope that's over, waiting for tow trucks and repair garages is no fun.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/21/2015 06:57 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

The last time I needed AAA was for a dead battery, and yes it was no fun. AAA called me while I was at the garage to ask if the service was OK. At least the garage was open at the time, so I didn't have to wait a day (or three).
BTW, the battery was replaced free since it was less than 2 years old.
--
34 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 6:10:34 PM UTC-5, rumpole wrote:

ppens when I'm away from home.

a blizzard and needed to be towed out. They acted like they couldn't care less. I finally hung up and managed to get pulled out by a good Samaritan, after that I canceled my account.

My family has had AAA since the 80's. It's an annual Christmas gift for the kids. My membership covers 6 drivers. (The membership used to be based on the vehicle, now it's on the member so it covers whatever car they call about). We have "shared" calls in bad y ears.
4 tows per year per member. I have the Plus package, so tows are up to 100 miles.
For the most part I have been extremely happy with the coverage. The latest incident, not so much. I had a vehicle that we weren't using parked in a lot where I rent a space for my trailer. The brake lines were shot so when I sold the car to my mechanic, w e had to have it towed to his shop. I called AAA and they gave me a 1 hour estimate, so w e headed over to the lot to unlock the gate. While we were waiting there, they called me back and told that the driver had a "priority call" that he had to take care of first. It might be at least another hour before he could pick up my car. Apparently, because it was Sun day, they had limited contractors willing to work. We ended up limping the car over t o a parking lot outside of the locked lot where I had it stored, left the keys in the visor and went home.
A few hours later, I drove by his shop and it was there. I assume the "prio rity call" meant someone was on the side of the road as opposed to in a parking lot, so they won. I could have complained, but I let it go.
On 11/21/2015 8:22 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Complain? If you were broke down on a busy highway with 3 kids in the car and they told you we have to tow some guy's junker from storage to a shop first, what would you think then?
On Saturday, November 21, 2015 at 9:23:17 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Jump to conclusions much?
I could have complained that they should have more contractors available, not that they took a "priority call" first. In addition AAA did not know the "junker" status of my car, only that the brakes weren't working. Do you really think I gave them all the details related to the status of the vehicle? All they need to know is what is wrong so they can tell the tow truck driver what to expect as far as the condition of the vehicle. No brakes. Period.
FWIW, I (and you) do not know what their definition of a "priority call" means. For all we know, the only contractor available for my area (yes, that was what I was told) was simply closer to the other vehicle and told AAA he was going to do that call first. For all we know, the original dispatcher got it wrong and there was no way anyone was getting to me in an hour in the first place. A "priority call" doesn't automatically mean 3 kids stranded on a highway.
Yes, as a 20+ year AAA member who been paying for 6 memberships for over 10 and who has seen his services per annual fee cut over that timeframe, I had every right to complain that I was told that someone would be there in an hour only to be told that it would be at least another hour once I was already at my vehicle.
On 11/21/2015 10:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yet you were still considering complaining. After sitting for a very long time that extra hour sure could make a difference. Got it.
On Saturday, November 21, 2015 at 10:18:54 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Stop lying. You definitely don't "got it."
Moving on...
I DONT LIKE alunimum wheels.
my new wifes car had them 20 years ago. in spring and fall we had flat tires a lot...
one day wife had flat, my mom was dying, so jen drove her car on the flat, ruined the tireand wheel. the ruined wheel was a lucky break. a matching alunimum wheel was not available, so we had a steel wheel and new tire installed.
while the remaing alunimum wheels had many flats over the next year
the steel wheel never went flat,''
so i asked at the tire store where they pulled a flat tire off, and noted the white dust, alunimum rust at the sealing surface........
so i bought all steel wheels, traded the alunimum wheels for hub caps. and i dont believe that car ever had another flat.