AAA auto club

Page 3 of 5
On 9/19/2015 11:45 AM, Roger Blake wrote:

Then your MAC address is exposed -- uniquely identifying your machine (at least to your upsteam connections).

I use a variety of "disposable" email addresses simply because I don't want to keep a server on-line *and* want to be able to shed an address if someone that I've entrusted it with "slips up" and shares it (or has their account hacked). Knowing who I've given each address to allows me to know how it may have "leaked" and who I should hold accountable.
I use guerilla mail for onetime contact (e.g., craigslist is notorious for email harvesting; let them harvest an email address that no longer works! :> )
I spent a fair bit of time, deacades ago, trying to get my name removed from "reputable" mailing lists. Ever since, I've opted to just use a specific address for each such list and just terminate the account when I no longer want to receive mail from them.

This makes your browser appear more unique! Given your range of IP addresses and browser "uniqueness", you can probably be easily identified (though not "named"). When I surf the web, my browser is locked down hard -- no script, no flash, etc. When SWMBO uses the same machine/IP to browse the web, her browser is more "typically" configured. I.e., anyone watching (e.g., google searches) knows that there are (at least) two different users, here.

Again, that makes you stand out. You want to resemble Average Joes if you want to be harder to "identify".

Preaching to the choir, here! I paid my *tuition* in cash (though decades ago, it was only a few $K / semester; OTOH, a few $K might well be equivalent to today's rates!).
But, this sort of "profiling" also has worked in my favor. I purchased my first two computers for ~$8,000/ea and charged them. The guy at the store was flabbergasted when he phoned in the credit charge: "They didn't even want to *talk* to you (to verify your identity)!" Someone else making such a big purchase might have stood out as "unusual"...

The MAC address is only used on the local LAN. The ISP gateway device does not see it. They only have the MAC of the router between their gateway and my LAN, which I can change at will since the router runs Linux and is completely under my control. But it's not really a concern since all they can see is a VPN tunnel established. There is traffic flow analysis possible of course, but that's very general and there are countermeasures to that as well if it becomes a problem.

Also a good way to do it. I've been working with the internet, mail servers, etc. since the early 1980s so for me it's trivial to have and control my own servers.

The "named" (and "located") part is what I would be most concerned about. As I said, no targeted ads, so I'm managing to keep 'em at bay.

They still don't know exactly who I am or what my actual location is. That's more important to me than some piece of analytical software seeing "oh, it's some anonymous guy again."
On 9/19/2015 12:25 PM, Roger Blake wrote:

I write OS's. But, I have no desire to *maintain* a machine that's just sitting on-line waiting to be hacked. I don't keep my firesafe and the valuables it contains out in the front yard, either! But, it sure would be safer (from fire!), there -- and, far more convenient to haul away in the event of one! :>

For the most part, they (businesses) don't care who you are. Just like they don't care who is sitting in front of the TV watching their commercials. OTOH, if they can correlate a particular sale with a particular advert, then they know the ad is effective *and* which household "succumbed" to the ad!
[Commercials are selectively replaced/overlaid in certain markets. So, only certain groups might be exposed to a particular commercial. When they take advantage of the offer (mail order, online or in person: "use promo code ABC123"), they self-identify as having been a victim of that ad.
With "smart TV's", expect this sort of targeted advertising to be refined in coming years. You may see a different ad than your neighbor. And, the ad may be "sprung" on you at a different time than your neighbor (because the TV can "buffer" the actual broadcast while the TV plays the ad that it has previously buffered!).
As TV's now can *watch* and listen to the viewing room, they can decide when to best peddle their sponsors' wares!
This is just the same as WWW advertising on your TV! And, because its a closed, proprietary system, the TV & content vendors can lock you out so you have no recourse but to put up with this!]

I don't keep anything important on it, if it gets hacked I would just restore the initial image back to it and try to secure it better.

That's the info I don't want them to have.

I don't plan on buying one. (Still using old CRT sets here.) I'm surprised anyone would buy a device that even in some cases the manufacturers have warned people not to discuss sensitive issues in front of the set!.
On 9/19/2015 2:42 PM, Roger Blake wrote:

It's getting so that you won't have a choice. OTA broadcasts require a converter box if you want to stick with a "legacy" set. These are increasingly hard to find (they aren't designed well -- I've repaired probably a dozen for our home alone! They were an "interim measure")
CATV requires a converter box -- another "closed" system that can tattle on you however the cable company deems appropriate (it can do the same sorts of things that I'm predicting smart TV;s will be doing).
Ditto for DishTV, etc.
Streaming services can install proprietary software and similarly impose their data collection policies on you -- forcing you to interface with it as *they* deem appropriate.
I use a media tank approach as a fallback for the DTV converter boxes (I'm down to my last pair of those and have no desire to repair them, again). But, this is out of the reach of most users -- it's far from "turnkey". Plus, many of the glitsy features that you might want require an internet connection; so, you've explicitly opened the door to intrusive behaviors!
(it's not possible to design a packet filter that blocks all "undesired" traffic -- unless you literally inspect the packets with your own eyes AND are aware of all the various tunneling schemes that are relatively easy to use *through* firewalls; couple that with the concept of essentially having installed a "plug" in your home and you've given them a potential beachhead. I.e., unless its ALL FOSS *and* you examine and build all the sources by hand, you're at risk)

I have spares, though so far I haven't had much trouble once I ditched the garbage DTVPal boxes. Also, not all new sets are of th "Smart" type. Even if saddled with one of those, don't connect it to the internet and it can't send info anywhere.

No cable TV or satellite here, just an antenna on the roof.

I'm not interested in any of those features.
On 9/19/2015 8:53 PM, Roger Blake wrote:

There is pressure on OTA broadcasters to forfeit their bandwidth for other uses. I suspect in another generation much of it (OTA TV) will be seen as a waste of that bandwidth.
Then, there are those areas where you can't reliably acquire OTA broadcasts (we have a short line of site to the broadcast antennae for most of the local broadcasters. Yet, frequently encounter problems with reception)

TV listings? Watch the debates on Fox/CNN, etc.? Internet radio?
I have a neighbor who uses her TV as a radio -- no picture, just sound.
A couple of years form now the current USA ATSC digital OTA signals will be replaced with a new ATSC standard, making all current ATSC tuners obsolete.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/07/tv-tuner-stop-working/index.htm
--
You know that ATSC TV tuner inside your set that lets you get free,
over-the-air HD broadcasts from an antenna? In the near future it will
On 9/20/2015 5:36 AM, Steve Stone wrote:

Thanks for this! I doubt my last two DTV converters (we don't own a TV that has an ATSC tuner *inside*) will last to that point! But, I surely will delay adding more "IP tuners" to my collection until/unless there are assurances from the tuner vendor that a firmware upgrade will address this sort of thing!
On 09/20/2015 08:36 AM, Steve Stone wrote:

But we'll all get two free ObamaTuners, right?
On 9/20/2015 6:22 AM, Rocky wrote:

Hopefully they'll be better than the BushTuners that we had to PAY FOR!
On 9/20/2015 10:10 AM, Don Y wrote:

Not all the external ATSC tuners were created equal.
Most were only good for NTSC channel 3/4 output or composite. I have a Channel Master tuner with S-Video output and a Samsung H250F model that does 720P HDMI. The Samsung was not part of the BushTuner $40 debit card deal and seems to be better at decoding marginal signals.
Steve

Correction, The Samsung does up to 1080I and component. I was surprised to see the price of used ones on eBay.
On 9/20/2015 7:23 AM, Steve Stone wrote:

Of course not! It was a "let the market solve this problem" approach, not a legislated/regulated one!

ISTR the $40 deal was just a "credit" that could be applied to any? I recall paying $6-8 for my first two (and the limit -- credits -- was "just two").
Our problem lies with a tree in the line-of-sight between our antenna location and the cluster of antennae on the mountain above us. Depending on the way the wind is blowing and whether or not it is raining, we may lose a significant number of stations. Or not.
I now use a dual IP tuner so I can, potentially, watch (at most) two shows and record (at most) two other shows simultaneously from one "box". I'll wait until your previously mentioned "news" comes to pass before upgrading this box.
OTOH, it's real value is in the DVR capability -- so we can record shows that are on at "inopportune" times of day and watch them "wherever/whenever" we choose (instead of being forced to watch them on a particular "attached" TV). SWMBO has already had me schedule the Downton Abbey season 6 episodes for recording -- so she won't have to watch them at the broadcaster's convenience!

The absolute worst is the one Dish sells you for OTA broadcasts in their sat box., I ended up having to put in a deep fringe antenna to make it halfway reliable and the tuner in my TV will get a usable signal with a coat hanger. The only reason I use it is for the DVR in the sat box.
On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 07:10:33 -0700, Don Y

I didn't pay for the 2 I got. They were $39.95 and the coupons were $40 (you got 2).

You *only* got two and they were only good for the first $40 of each purchase. That sort of limits you to the bottom end of the offerings.

Probably not in my lifetime. If it came down to it I can live without TV.

I don't have too many problems, though sometimes have to fine-tune the antenna position using the rotator. Main problem with the digitial TV system is it does not degrade gracefully - it either works or it doesn't.

Nope. Not interested.

Interesting - I've found that with a weak signal the sound is the first to go.
On 9/20/2015 6:37 AM, Roger Blake wrote:

Our TV use is largely local news and DVD viewing. I can't think of a "TV show" that airs, nowadays, that I'd "make time" (even time-shifted) to watch. Not sure how that would change if we had a CATV feed; but I'm *sure* we'd not be spending all that money each month just in case wed want to sit and rot our brains! Life has far more interesting things to offer than TV!
We catch-up with the broadcast TV shows that others watch "now" (on cable or OTA) by borrowing those same shows from the local library when they are released on DVD's. Often, years after they've aired! (e.g., John from Cincinnati). This also lets us watch shows that we particularly enjoyed multiple times. (We've watched SOAP perhaps 4 or 5 times; ditto with Coupling, Firefly, etc.)
A consequence of this is we don't have to "wait" for the next expisode to be broadcast at *their* convenience; it's on one of the DVD's, in the package, waiting to be viewed at *our* convenience!
SWMBO has just started watching Downton Abbey. She is hoping to finish catching up on the first *5* seasons before the 6th (final) season airs in January.

Yup. I'd prefer a "snowy" picture to a "choppy" one, any day! For us, OTA NTSC was markedly more reliable than ATSC (due to local geography).

I suspect less and less "premium" content will be available OTA. Advertisers and vendors have quickly learned that they have a tighter "lock" on your eyes with streaming content! Another consequence of the Negroponte "flip".
We "listened" to the latest debate on AM radio. I'm sure the lack of visuals didn't make a difference (there was nothing of substance said, regardless!)

She has cable. Just uses the TV as a "radio" (I guess there are some "stations" that effectively broadcast just music?)
On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 07:09:09 -0700, Don Y

Nixon would disagree with that statement. It was the visuals that won the debate for JFK. What he said did not carry the day.