A stinky drain

Page 1 of 2
When I run water down the sink drain in my kitchen, I get a hydrogen sulphide smell in my living room.
Past years, I've tried hydroxide drain cleaner, boiling water, some Zep enzyme stuff from Home Depot, and can't think of what else. Oh, yeah, a slug of hydroxide based coil cleaner.
I don't put any grease in the drain, though the last people were fond of beef, from the smell of the oven. They moved, in 1993.
This Am, I rinsed a dish in the sink, and was blasted by hydrogen sulphide smell in the living room. Any ideas what to do next? That sulphide smell is getting worse. Only happens when I run water down the kitchen sink drain.
Went to the roof, flushed a bunch of water down the roof vent. The vent about 1 inch ID swollowed all the water I could run out of my garden hose. So, it's not likely a clogged roof vent.
What else might solve the problem, and end the sulphide smell in my living room?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

You might try some bleach in the drain. Should kill the odor and maybe bacteria in drain causing it.
Hydrogen peroxide could also work.
Frank
Thanks, Frank.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Do you have a sink in your basement that doesn't get used often? If so, the water in it's drain trap might have evaporated, allowing sewer gas to get into the basement through that drain. When you run water in the kitchen, It might be creating pressure that actively drives the gas into the basement, where it then either wafts up to your living room, or gets sucked into the HVAC cold air if you have forced air heat.
If this is the problem, just remember to periodically turn on the sink for a few seconds every month or so.
No cellar in a trailer, but I do have a side of the kitchen sink that doesn't get often used. However, the smell is in the living room, not the kitchen. I suspect a leaky drain pipe under the trailer.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Are you sure it's actually from the drain? It you were to say get a jug of spring water at the store and pour it down the drain would you get the HS smell? I ask since I sometimes get a HS smell at my sink, but only when I use the infrequently used sprayer, and it takes a second or so for the smell to hit you so you might think it was from the drain when it really isn't. I believe it is the HS generated by the water reacting with the water heater anode, and in the sprayer hose the water sits long enough for the HS to percolate out and form a large enough bubble to be detected when released. The regular faucet which is used frequently never has a HS smell so I presume the HS is in low concentration and dispersed enough to be undetectable there.

The "twist" in his issue is that the smell presents itself in the livingroom.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Apparently I missed that on my quick skim. Unless he has a floor drain in the LR, I can't imagine the connection. Again, the jug of water thing would be a good test since it would isolate the issue to a function of running the water (supply) or draining the water.

I'm thinking he has a dry drain trap (a sink that doesn't get used often?) in his basement that is actually the source of the smell. Water draining in the kitchen sink could create pressure enough to force sewer gases out of a basement drain that are then either sucked up into a forced air heating system, or simply waft up into the living room

Perhaps, but testing the theory involves a huge amount of effort. He might have to run the water for a few moments in the rarely used sink.
Or he may have to find the drain stopper which is behind the sink, and put it in the unused side of sink.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Perhaps my memory is wrong, but I don't believe he has a basement.
Didn't he say he lived in a trailer?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

news wrote:

No water softener here, but our coop water is very soft and somewhat alkaline as well, like 9 ph. Never notice HS from the regular faucets, but the kitchen sprayer that sits for days or longer between uses seems to accumulate detectable amounts.

I'll pay more attention. But, I'm certain the smell is in the living room, and somtimes seconds or minutes after I use the drain.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
I ask since I sometimes get a HS smell at my sink, but only when I use the infrequently used sprayer, and it takes a second or so for the smell to hit you so you might think it was from the drain when it really isn't.
CY: The aerator runs very low flow, and so I do use the sprayer. Hmm. Makes me wonder, since you mention sprayer, and that's usually when I get the smell.
I believe it is the HS generated by the water reacting with the water heater anode, and in the sprayer hose the water sits long enough for the HS to percolate out and form a large enough bubble to be detected when released. The regular faucet which is used frequently never has a HS smell so I presume the HS is in low concentration and dispersed enough to be undetectable there.
CY: Well, that's a definite possibility. I'll have to make a point of using the sprayer several times a day, and see if that changes things. Wonder why the smell is in the living room, not the kitchen?
One poster suggested some Clorox bleach in the drain. I did, a half galon or so of year old bleach. A couple days later, another pour of bleach down the drain. This morning, ran the sink. And no smell. Half hour or so later, ran the sprayer and still no smell.
Whatever that Clorox did, it was the answer.
Thank you to all.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus