a question: whaddaya call those small ladders for home libraries?

The ones with two or three steps, with a pole attached to one side for maintaining one's balance? Usually wooden, found in libraries and bookstores.
Having a devil of a time finding a place to buy one.
Jim Beaver
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'd call 'em "ladders".
brodart.ca supplies all things for home and public libraries, including "ladders". I just searched their site for 'ladders' and here's a sample:
http://www.brodart.ca/shop/cb/product.aspx?pgid554
Regards,
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thanks, but what I'm looking for would be a little more upscale -- you know, carved mahogany or oak, with a little elegance to it for use in the library of my home. I have enough trouble keeping my house from looking like a warehouse as it is! Thanks for the link, though.
Jim Beaver
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jim Beaver wrote:

Maybe not as good as you want, but very serviceable: http://www.highsmith.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Production/Search.jsp?returnURL=Search.jsp%3fcatalogId%3d10001%26Nty%3d1%26Ntx%3dmode%252bmatchallpartial%26Ntt%3dladder%26N%3d0%26langId%3d-1%26Nu%3dCategoryId%26chkForFilter%3dY%26Nr%3dNOT%2528Field4%253a825000%2529%26storeId%3d10001%26Ntk%3dHsSearch1&category †139&AI612&NSave=0&AuΚtegoryId&catalogId001&An=0&langId=-1&NttSave=ladder&storeId001
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jim Beaver wrote:

Did you try google?
Here is one in mahogany: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_2/602-3675624-7598251?ie=UTF8&asin °002X4PXI&frombrowse=1
Add pictures here
βœ–

Like this? http://tinyurl.com/2fhter
-
Add pictures here
βœ–
http://www.frontgate.com/shopping/search/searchresultsmain.jsp?AS=1&keyword=library+steps
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
There are also versions available that roll on a track installed on a high bookshelf.
Jo Ann

Add pictures here
βœ–

http://www.frontgate.com/shopping/search/searchresultsmain.jsp?AS=1&keyword=library+steps
All of the suggestions have been nice, but I'm looking for something quite specific. I've seen them in bookstores. They're wooden, with two or three steps, and on one side is a pole of carved wood for holding onto for balance. I've seen them so often, I thought they'd be easy to find online, but no luck so far. Maybe I'll just hit a few bookstores until I find one and steal it...I mean, look at the label and see who makes them.
Jim Beaver
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jim Beaver wrote:

Like this one? <http://www.masterpiecefurniture.com/getitem.php?id &order=display_order&classification=classification=1%20AND%20enabled=1> (Not cheap)
Carol S.
Add pictures here
βœ–

<http://www.masterpiecefurniture.com/getitem.php?id &order=display_order&classification=classification=1%20AND%20enabled=1>
Yipes. Yeah, that's basically it, though, except the ones I've seen were not curved. Thanks.
Jim Beaver
Add pictures here
βœ–

You could just clamp a length of EMT to the side of a regular stepladder.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Here's one from Rockler.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page "37
Not cheap!
Jerry
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.spam says...

Bookstores have to buy them somewhere -- find one you like and ask the shop where they got it. A lot of times that's the best way to get industry-specific fixtures. The shop might even sell you one for a very low markup, considering the margins they're used to getting on books.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
βœ–