A question about mold:(

Page 1 of 2
A good friend looked at a home for sale, its a foreclosure. The home has a sump pump and interior french drain. When the power was turned off the water built up in the basement. Its probably been this way for months. all the walls in the home are covered with mold.
My friend wonders if he could get the home dried out, with dehumidifiers and get the sump pump working then just scrub everything to kill the mold? he is looking for a cheap home and I am trying to help
On 5/5/2013 7:32 PM, bob haller wrote:

A small amount of mold can be killed and controlled with bleach but mold as you described isn't something I would mess with as a DIYer. What appears before the eyes may not be the entire covered area. A professional cleaning company will be able to detect mold in all areas and clean appropriately.
Bottom line, mold is something you don't want to mess with especially if a family will be living there.
Well worth the money to have the pros come out and give estimate, and wisdom. One email friend of mine did some rehab on a mobile home with mold. Cost him weeks in the hospital, and he'll never be the same man again. As for me, I'd not even consider working on such a home. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
A small amount of mold can be killed and controlled with bleach but mold
as you described isn't something I would mess with as a DIYer. What appears before the eyes may not be the entire covered area. A professional cleaning company will be able to detect mold in all areas and clean appropriately.
Bottom line, mold is something you don't want to mess with especially if
a family will be living there.
On Sun, 5 May 2013 20:08:43 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

One email friend of mine did some rehab on a mobile home with mold. Cost him weeks in the hospital, and he'll never be the same man again. As for me, I'd not even consider working on such a home.

+1
I worked on a friends shower that had a big mold problem. I about coughed up my lungs after ripping that stuff out. Never again!
A year ago we passed on several homes that had mold issues in the basement. One was otherwise a wreck but in a great location and I could have afforded to gut the entire thing and replace everything with top-shelf fixtures for what they were asking for the house. ...until we looked in the basement. I wasn't about to tackle mold. You never know where it's going and whether it will come back when you're done. Too big of a risk.

Cost him weeks in the hospital, and he'll never be the same man again. As for me, I'd not even consider working on such a home.

stronger." is a major lie.
I think the troops in Afghanistan who have limbs blown off (and the Boston Marathon people) will agree. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Stormin Mormon wrote:

One email friend of mine did some rehab on a mobile home with mold. Cost him weeks in the hospital, and he'll never be the same man again. As for me, I'd not even consider working on such a home.

A powerful Kelly Clarkson song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEZDP_NVklc

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Mold is really aliens from another planet.....or Canada LOL.
I vote for walk away, while you are still living and healthy. I know one man who got infected, and near to killed him. Weeks in the hospital. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
A good friend looked at a home for sale, its a foreclosure. The home has a sump pump and interior french drain. When the power was turned off the water built up in the basement. Its probably been this way for months. all the walls in the home are covered with mold.
My friend wonders if he could get the home dried out, with dehumidifiers and get the sump pump working then just scrub everything to kill the mold? he is looking for a cheap home and I am trying to help
bob haller wrote:

I support what others have said and add this:
The mold you can see may only be 10% of the problem's extent. Mold will be behind, under, and within possibly the entire structure. Probably the only thing that will get rid of ALL of it is a fire!

+1
If all the walls are covered with mold, I would think it could be in enclosed inaccessible spots as well. If I was going to buy this it would have to be at a price that would cover gutting it, remediating whatever is found, and paying me nicely for going through all that and the risk. Plus, what about the "disclosure" requirements for future sales that Bob is always so worried about.
If you made a business of buying these and could spread the risk out over many homes, had the experience, skills, etc, it could be a nice business. On some houses you buy them cheap and when you start work, you find out the mold isn't as extensive as it might be. On others, it could be much worse. IF you did that regularly, knew how to judge the buy price, etc, I can see it working and you making a nice profit, But for someone with no experience and just buying a house for a one time thing, there is a lot of risk. Either buy it very cheap or how lucky do you feel today?

I would look for a company that can use liquid chlorine dioxide gas generation. Whether clean up is done before or after, I don't know.
Greg

How is it you Americans can't even construct a watertight basement? I looked at some new houses being built in America a few years back, they were a heap of shit.

Of course that vastly superior country called England uses exactly the same methods:
http://www.basementsystems.co.uk/sump-pump.html
http://www.basementsumpandpump.co.uk/category/basement-care/
Once again, the village idiot in all his glory!

These are for buildings a hundred years old or more.

Sure harry, anything you say. After all, you're the village idiot!
my buddy decided it was a bad idea. Me and my GF walked thru the house. GF has asthma which bothered her afterward........
so its a no sale on this one. I talked of helping him but cant risk getting ill.
Plus the home appears to have been vacant for 2 years, that long with that much moisture may have attracted termites which love wet wood.
Why people put sump pumps in homes that sit high enough for gravity drains amazes me.......

Good call. The tragedy here is that so many people got thrown out of homes by banks, etc. when it's clear that even non-paying occupants have some value to the property owners.
Someone who's living in a "to be foreclosed" property can protect it from things like mold, vandalism, flooding, squatters and more. Some kids had a major block party in one of the vacant foreclosures a few blocks away and nearly burnt it to the ground.
Our county got very aggressive with banks that were letting properties go to seed because of the lowering of the property values of neighboring homes. They even went so far as to mow the lawns and clean up the properties with county crews. Then they sent the bills to the banks that refused to maintain their foreclosures.
FWIW, I read an article about professional mold remediation today:
< http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/05/realestate/bill-sothern-remediates-mold-and-other-hazards.html <<A few years ago, Mara Landis hired Microecologies to inspect her Park Avenue duplex. Her family had long-term respiratory and neurological problems, initially traced to mold caused by leaky windows and a burst pipe, and a remediation attempt by a Connecticut company had failed. "They came in wearing their little hazmat suits," Ms. Landis recalled of that company. "Charged us $100,000, which our insurance paid, but when we moved back into our apartment I immediately started to feel sick again. "I love this apartment," she continued, "but I got so upset, I told my husband I thought we were going to have to sell it and move. Then somebody told us that if we really wanted to clean up the mold, Bill Sothern was the guy to call."
Mr. Sothern assessed the air quality in the duplex and, a bit like a detective, had a hunch the problem was lurking upstairs. "He told me he needed to rip out the floorboards," Ms. Landis said, "and when he did, there was a paper liner underneath, full of black mold." Since its removal, she said, she's been symptom-free.>>
A while back I read something about bleach not being effective at remediation and since have learned that's because it kills the surface mold but doesn't reach far enough into porous material to prevent the mold from "reblooming."
--

Bobby G.

On Sun, 5 May 2013 23:36:40 -0700 (PDT), harry

Harry, the problem is they build in SWAMPS like New Orleans,Louisiana, and on flood plains. A watertight basement would turn into a houseboat.
On May 6, 9:39 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

basements are not bathtubs, they really cant be made 100% waterproof, and even if they are, settiling will lead to cracks and water entry