A Perfect Case For NOT Using Linux.

Page 1 of 2
This one is hilarious. It's on a Linux centric site, written by a Linux zealot yet because he tells the truth about Linux, admirable, it really turns into a "why on earth would I want to run Linux" post. Only he doesn't get it. Like I said, hilarious.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Is-It-That-Hard-to-Use-Linux-As-Your-Main-Computer-Operating-System-484750.shtml http://tinyurl.com/p5yn75s
This part is hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A couple of hours a day and after a few months? Is he fucking kidding? Most people don't last a day with Linux after trying it. Linux is that bad.
"The truth is that, at first, it will be hard, and you will encounter many issues. Prepare to search the Internet for many tutorials, join forums of the Linux distribution you're migrating to and ask questions on how to do various things. My suggestion is to install Linux on a different computer, or use a dual-boot setup - though many will encounter issues with that - and access it from time to time, 1-2 hours per day, and after a few months, you will know if you can really make the switch."
On 06/21/2015 04:27 PM, Tomas wrote:
[snip]

I did have one problem with dual boot (this was on a BIOS system, not UEFI). In this case, it seemed to be Windows at fault. Some Windows programs write over the disk boot track, where GRUB is installed.
I can't prove it, but strongly suspect some program's anti-usability feature ("product activation").
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 5:27:37 PM UTC-4, Tomas wrote:

Does anyone know if there exists some decent screencasting software for Linux?

Try these http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20090720142023520/Screencasting.html
Kent Dorfman wrote:

There's a list here too.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/4428/how-to-create-a-screencast
But this is not an easy topic. If you're picky, you can always find something wrong with the programs. For example, the ones that do heavy compression, the captured image might look "too soft". The ones that do no compression, the data rate is too high. Or the lip sync is broken. Or there's no sound. Or if you make an AVI file, if the file is bigger than 4GB, it gets corrupted (only FFMPEG works right).
Paul
On 6/22/15, 9:26 AM, in article mm9csv$it4$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, "Paul"

I would love to see greater capabilities than currently exist on Linux: things like being able to, in post production:
* Hide or show the mouse / keystrokes * Show clicks with inversion or other visual aids * Resize the mouse pointer and even replace it with a different image * Be able to snap the canvas size to a window * Be able to blur out sensitive data
These are things I do on a regular basis and I have found no solution for them on Linux.
--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: <
http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE

http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE

* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? <
http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA

http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA

Brian Reay wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

VS is a grotesque beast that gets ever more bloated and unstable with each release.
I've had Visual Studio 2013 crash on me (reliably) when setting two breakpoints that would get hit in different threads.

Good work, man.
Heh, he left out "Windows":
--
If the vendors started doing everything right, we would be out of a job.
Let's hear it for OSI and X! With those babies in the wings, we can count
Brian Reay wrote:

There's certainly nothing wrong with using whatever works best for you, regardless if it's open- or closed-source. OSS is never going to be the best choice in all situations.
FOSS does not need the charity of "zealots" to succeed. It only needs something resembling a level playing-field in the market.
--
"(cola is) attacked because it's a cess pit of second hand news,
paranoia and anti-MS lunacy by a bunch of know nothing, contribute

Wow... you are sounding like me.

Which it has. If the open source community would get its act together and make a desktop product that competes well it would make a huge dent in the market. The denial of the zealots works against this.
--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: <
http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE

http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE

* Mint KDE working with folders: <
http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0

http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:28:27 -0700, Snit wrote:

I know it will do no good but I will say one more time, Linux is not in the "market", it is FREE.
--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
"You can't fix stupid."

"Here's yer sign..."
Exactly. Good one.
I like the one where the cop shows up after a trucker gets his trailer stuck under an overpass and asks "Did you get your truck stuck?"
The driver, without missin' a beat.... says "No, I was deliverin' this here overpass and ran out of gas." Here's yer sign. Hehehehehe So funny.
On 6/30/15, 4:15 PM, in article tqFkx.13947$ snipped-for-privacy@fx08.am, "Wildman"

It is in the market - it comes on computers you can buy.
But even outside of that, without being pedantic, to say it is one of the choices in the market is fine by me, even if it is a free choice you can get.
--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: <
http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE

http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE

* Mint KDE working with folders: <
http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0

http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 19:09:55 -0700, Snit wrote:

Yes, I know. That makes up some of that 1.5% crap I am always hearing about. Aside from pirating, 100% of Windows and OSx that is out there was sold in the market in one way or another and none of it was free. There is no rationale for saying that Linux in the market.

You need to look up the word market. You apparently have no clue as to what it actually means.
--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
Here's your sign. (L)

OSX is now free but can't be installed on non Mac hardware. While we are that I have downloaded different images in order to try it in virtualbox and none worked. Seems that it is easier to install it on bare metal (non Mac) then in VM.... While I have iMac in the office I just wanted to try it in VM, but alas virtualbox support is very lousy.
On 6/30/15, 7:49 PM, in article 20150701044907.477722be@maxa-pc, "Melzzzzz"

Well, OS X *updates* are free. You cannot get OS X, though, outside of a package deal where you get hardware and software - the full system.

OS X runs fine in Parallels on a Mac... so you can run older versions of OS X.

From what I have seen and read, VirtualBox in general does not work as well as Parallels and VMWare... but it is also free.
--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: <
http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE

http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE

* Mint KDE working with folders: <
http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0

http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 20:00:37 -0700

to try OSX...
Melzzzzz wrote:

Use Virtual player instead. It is free.
Snit wrote:

Generally VirtualBox runs better than VMware and has more options. There is currently only one area where VMware perfroms slightly better. The speed of the virtual network is a little higher than that of VirtualBox.

[deletia]

Yes. You can ONLY run MacOS on a Mac.
You can kind of hack your way around that with a custom hardware build but it's even more bothersome than trying to build a Linux box in the early 90s.

That's not been my experience. Although VirtualBox is more than adequate for "light duty" work. Admittedly my experience may be soured by the whatever Ubuntu has done with their build of Virtualbox.
On the other hand, I don't see this being at all an issue for pedestrian Apple users. It's likely that their only real objection to VirtualBox is that it doesn't afford them the opportunity of feeling superior by way of demonstrating that they are more willing to waste money.
On 7/1/15, 6:49 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@nomad.mishnet, "JEDIDIAH"

Right: at least in any supported way. Maybe even in any legal way - not sure about that.

OK.

What? You are not even trying to make sense any more. I mean, really, what the hell are you even talking about?
Oh. Just trying to get my goat now that I pointed out how wrong your last guess was:
JEDIDIAH: ----- | Meanwhile OS X offers things like Automator and AppleScript / | Script ...which benefits YOU personally how much?
You've probably never touched the thing, or even touched anyone else's work that's a result of those tools.
I get a lot of mileage out of bash, perl, and PHP. Some sort of script generator for rubes would probably slow me down if anything while not adding much of any benefit. ----- I gave you a lot of examples - many of which the technologies you speak of would not work with (well, at least not on Linux, on OS X you could use those in conjunction with with Automator / AppleScript). I went into far more detail elsewhere, but those examples included:
* Resizing / moving windows for screencasting purposes * Resizing images / making thumbnails * Setting meta-data on PDFs * Rotating tabs in Safari * Going up a directly in Safari * Getting all images from a webpage * Opening all local links from a webpage * Educational tools to teach how to say numbers * Opening a second instance of a program (not the norm on OS X) * My much-discussed bot * Folder actions to copy or organize files * Mail PDFs with a custom name from any print dialog * Open sets of applications
All sorts of things... and all done by a non-programmer. Your lack of response is deafening.