A frustrating bathtub problem

1. I have no access to the tub taps from the rear. Outside wall :( 2. The previous owner never purchased extra tile for spares when they tiled the entire bathroom - can't match them up. 3. The valves are Waltec. The valve seats are fine. The installer placed the assembly too far into the tile. The only way to turn the water off is to keep the handle screw loose as the tile prevents the tap from fully closing when the handle is tightly seated. 4. This causes the handle to strip out. Always.
Is there a way to replace or modify without the a completed tile job?
jim wrote:

Washers under the screw or epoxy glue the works?
Lou

If I understand the issue, spacers won't help.
If the handle needs to be left loose, it means it has to be pulled off the stem threads so it is barely catching, thus stripping out.
Spacers may allow for a tight screw, but it'll still be just catching the threads.
OP: Have I pictured this correctly?
Pull the valve stem, take it to the store, and see if a similar valve stem can be found with a longer reach.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Go here and scroll almost to the end looking for Smitty Plate. http://www.plumbingsupply.com/escutch.html
Not the most elegant solution but it will give you access.

*My Kohler valves came with several different extensions to accommodate different wall dimensions. Perhaps your manufacturer has a solution. I would try contacting them and also go to a plumbing supply and see if there are solutions that the pros use. The alternative is to pick out some complimentary tile to go with the existing and change the valves.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@nf.sympatico.ca says...

What are the handles made of? Can you chuck them in a lathe and cut enough off the back side so they no longer prevent the valve from closing? If they are plastic, you could do this by sanding them down.
Or, space them out with a washer inside the handle and use a screw that is longer so everything will tighten up.
--
Dennis

Washer in side the handle will strip the matching spline and socket. That's what the OP is having, now.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Thanks folks. I was able to get longer stems to fit. Saved me a bundle. BTW Home Despot and the like advised a tear out as the only resolve. The 75 year old semi - retired plumber 2 blocks down working out of his basement had the solution and gave me the new parts gratis.
jim wrote:

And thank you for reporting the solution!

It always helps to have a good neighbor.
Oren wrote:

And probably even more it pays to get advice from an actual knowledgeable source instead of expecting the Borg 'droid to have a clue...

And another thanks of appreciation for the followup. Sometimes the best solution is the most simple.

Do the screw fasten like a setscrew or do they screw axially into the end of the stem. If axially then a spacer made of hobby brass tubing can be inserted into the handle and replace the screws with longer ones.
Jimmie
jim wrote:

I had free help give me the same problem. Like others said, either use washers/spacers and a longer screw, or cut/file,grind down the back side of the knob where it it hitting.
How about a new set of handles from these guys http://www.amresupply.com/category_view/P/PE,20,1