A differenct approach to residential solar power

Page 1 of 2
"[The company] designs, installs, and maintains solar-energy systems fitted to homeowners' roofs. Instead of asking for a big upfront payment, it leases the systems. As the panels produce power, surplus electricity is sold back to the local utility. Combined with the savings that come from using less power from the grid, this will typically reduce the homeowner's electric bill by enough to offset the lease payments."
http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/40352/?p1

If it works, good for them. Homeowners are either reluctant or just don't have the money to pay for a system. This makes it easier to start.
Here in New England, I'm a bit skeptical on payback, but in the south, it may be the way to go.

You save more than we spend! How is that only 25%?

Indeed. We both heat and cool with electricity and "only" spend something less than $1700 (five months @ $200 and seven around $100). $9K in electricity? Yikes! Either harry is lying again, or he's worse than AlBore.
On Sun, 06 May 2012 10:47:12 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Same here. We use electricity for everything here, heat, cool, cooking, and water plus a spa and a pool. I don't spend $2500 a year.

Ok, double what I spend and you're *still* not up to $9K per year, moron. You do AlBore proud.

That's going to last. Not!

Does anyone else think it's hilarious that harry thinks his government will continue the subsidy for 25 years?

From what we hear about your current austerity program, your guys make our republicans look Keynesian.
On Tue, 8 May 2012 07:17:22 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government."
"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury."
"From that moment on, the majority always vote for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship."
Attributed to Alexander Tyler

Compared to other forms of government ? Not much permanence there
On Tue, 8 May 2012 14:34:31 -0500, "Attila.Iskander"

The Vatican? ;-)

Good one.
On Tue, 8 May 2012 20:33:22 -0500, "Attila.Iskander"

You could probably point to Feudalism which lasted close to 1000 years from the fall of the Romans to the rise of the Western Democracies and that is the supposed system Tyler would be referring to but I assume he may have also been thinking about the Romans.

The Roman Empire, a dictatorship with a thin veneer of oligarchy.
On Tue, 08 May 2012 19:59:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Does the Vatican issue EBT cards?

We will be ruled by the 400 people who run the rest of the western world. To some extent we already are. They have hand picked 5 of the last 6 presidents.

Because you're going broke, moron.

Who pays the extra 54 cents a kwh (plus transport)? The tax payer?
This sounds like a green welfare program for rich guys who can come up with twenty grand.

Hmmm. If the idea is to just kick start the program, seems to me that there has been one hell of a lot of kick starting that's been going on around the world. Yet it's still no where near cost effective. The panels apparently are now so cheap that companies here can't build them and make a profit, eg Solyndra
As to later folks not doing as well, now why would that be? Instead of paying the current 75c you say you're getting, let's say they reduce it to 50c. If the kickstarting works the cost of the solar systems will have dropped by then so that the same economic incentive would remain for those choosing to install it.
I see no indication that these can stand on their own without large subsidy.

The latter part shows why Europe is in even more trouble than the USA. Politicians handing out freebies with a 25 year guarantee.
On Sun, 06 May 2012 10:47:12 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Typical rates in Britain are about 22 per kW. A bit more that I pay in CT, about 17
I paid a total of $1775 last year.