A/C window unit: compressor or not?

Page 2 of 2

Have you ever actually done that? I think the probability of bending fins is about 99.999%.
I've used a 1300 PSI pressure washer to clean fins. As long as it's set for fan spray, and the nozzle is a couple inches away, the fins don't bend. Straight stream bends fins. I must be one of the 0.001% then?
Team cheer: We're number 0.001 !!
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Last Thursday our of our maintenance guys at work spent a few hours straightening fins on a cooling tower for an air compressor at work. Last summer someone hooked up a sprinkler under it to help it cool on very hot days and the sprinkler was enough to bend fins. Of course, the bent fins restricted air flow causing even more heating so they increased the sprinkler pressure. . . . . . .
Sounds like organizational mentality. If it isn't working, do it harder. FAster. Longer.
Sorry to hear your work got a bunch of bent fins.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Carol wrote:

NO, the adjustable thermostat setting should cause the unit to run continuously unless it is icing the cooling coil and cycling off on a freeze stat. If it is, both coils need to be washed thoroughly clean along with the squirrel cage blower wheel! CY: Wow, that's supposed to surprise us that both coils need to be washed?
When the cooling coil is matted with lint the squirrel cage blower wheel blades will also be loaded with lint and it will not deliver sufficient airflow! CY: Dusty blades don't deliver air flow. Should that surprise us? Why did you exclaim that?
The squirrel cage blower wheel blades have to be thoroughly cleaned or it will be unbalanced! CY: I don't find that at all surprising. Do you think that will surprise someone?
They need to make certain they do not knock the balance weights off the blower wheel blades or you will have another problem! CY: Does th at surprise anyone?

if
was thinking I'd call

right
They should take it to a car wash and use pressure washing "straight inline with the fins or it will bend them," also with the motor and electrical covered with plastic bags. Use a big floor fan along with the window unit! CY: Is it supposed to surprise someone that a fan helps?
Optimizing a Room or Window Air Conditioner's EER and Btu/hr Performance Output! CY: I don't find that at all surprising.
http://www.udarrell.com/airconditioner_current_temperature_btuh_charting.html

tell
You are RIGHT! KICK-ASS until it is done RIGHT! CY: Now, that's how to exclaim.
- udarrell - Darrell
I'd like to thank everyone for their great input. You're a helpful bunch and I'm glad to know this newsgroup is here!
I plan to call the landlord in the morning (today is a holiday in the US) and have them fix it. But I definitely am considering buying a unit for the bedroom at Lowes. It's only when it gets into the 90s that the bedroom becomes a problem, but that's three months a year, and I'm tired of being miserable all summer long.
--
To email, remove the kitty litter...

Carol wrote:

5,000-btuh is all you would need for the bedroom. However, I cool 920-sq. ft. first floor (older home) with my 6,000-btuh Whirlpool Quiet Partner (very quiet) with Remote Electronic controls. It's a world beater, and I love it! Consider it!
http://www.udarrell.com/airconditioner_current_temperature_btuh_charting.html
Carol posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Why don't you buy it for yourself?
--
Tekkie

If the fins you can see are clogged, the ones in the back of the unit are usually double clogged. Definitely needs professional service. Please call the office.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

And that where? Oh, the back seat of the Pinto wagon, right next to the used parts.
--
Tekkie