I'm "shopping" for home insurance

I recently got my renewal notice for insurance for my residence.

This time, I am NOT gonna live with the annual price increase, even tho the value of the residence has gone down.

Soooo, I'm going to drop that company, and get a new policy with a different company.

Is there a website where "insurance shoppers" like me can get several rate quotes with a minimum of fuss?

Thanks, folks.......

Lee in Denver

Reply to
carkenord

I used this website last time I was in the market for insurance. They recommended 21st Century for car and Safeco for home.

I had to use both because right after I switched from St. Farm we had a bad hail storm and I got good service from both 21st and Safeco. YMMV

Jim

Reply to
JimT

The value of the residence probably does not play too much of a role here because chances are you were insured for more than it was worth to begin with. There are couple things you can do with the existing insurance: lower the payouts (to the minimum your mortgage company allows) or increase copay to a higher amount (say, $2,500) - both should help with lowering the premium. Although in latter case it would be important to make sure you actually have quick access to $2,500 in case something big comes up.

Another thing you can do is to check with your car insurance company (if it's not already them of course). They have loyalty discounts (most do, anyway) and that should also help with lower premium.

Also would not hurt to simply call your current insurer and tell them you're leaving and ask them what they can do to make you stay. If you were a good paying customer (and especially if you did not submit too many claims), chances are they can come up with a better deal.

It really depends on your definition of minimum fuss! These guys, once you've made it known you are on a market for an insurance will be following up with you for months even after you'll eventually settle on some particular provider. I would not exactly call it spamming but you're probably going to have to emphasize the point that you've already got what you wanted with two or three of the most persistent ones, most likely in a phone conversation with them.

------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Reply to
DA

Would save time & effort to consult an independent insurance agent (for home, car, other insurance). Does such a one exist?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I use American Family. Could find cheaper but very happy on claims payout. Wind damage on house roof. I have a $500 deductible. Roof redone and the voided the deductible. Maybe cause I am a long time customer, I don't know. WW

Reply to
WW

If you can combine auto and home yhat usually will give a small savings. Personally I would set aside an hour or two, maybe more, and sit down with at the phone with paper and pencil and start calling a few local companies/agents.

Reply to
itsjoannotjoann

its better to have the same carrier for auto and home, and anything else too.

if you have a claim they will be less likely to jack up your rates since they know if you get mad they lose all the business....

i would begin by checking with your car insurance carrier

Reply to
hallerb

Dunno about web sites, but an HONEST independent local insurance agent is usually quite happy to shop around for you. All my policies, including a million-dollar umbrella, are through a local ma'n'pa independent agency. A few years ago, they called up and told me they could save me some money by changing all my policies to a single company. And when a tree fell on my shed, the agent told me candidly I would be better off not filing a claim, based on what it would do at rollover time. I'm mostly happy with them.

Reply to
aemeijers

My rate went up last year with the renewal notice and decided I'd start shopping around. Before I could do anything, my agent called and had a replacement policy for 40% less. Try your agent first. They are supposed to be looking out for you.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I did that last year, after 30 years (and no claims) with the same company. New company offered the same coverage for a lot less money. I was happy.

I just got the renewal bill. 16% increase! Seems like they lowball the initial quote as a lead-in to big increases later. My independent agent sez this is the best deal. Hmmm.

Hope you have better luck.

Reply to
Bryce