Subject Author Posted Replies

Customer service is getting better?
"It seems as if everyone has a tale about Customer Service Hell. According to a new survey ... less than half (49%) of consumers worldwide say that they are ?net satisfied? with the businesses they...
2
2

24-7 Furnace Blower with Unheated Rooms
I've been running my furnace blower 24-7 for the past few years. I find it keeps the house temperature more even, especially in the summer. Now that winter is here, I'm wondering if it's still makes...
10
10

Embarrassing question about how to light a built-in propane fireplace
The kids asked me to light the fake fireplace but I don't seem to have gas coming out. Is there normally a second shutoff that I don't know about? details: About a year ago we switched propane...
31
31

Labeling Parts Bins
I need to re-label some Akro-Mils parts bins. The old labels have lost their adhesion and fallen off. What options are there? Dymo embossing label makers are out as are the Dymo thermal printers.
7
7

Cable Tunneling: Mystery Mole?
I'm seeing a lot of this around here. Tried searching, and came up with a lot of hits on "mole" devices, but they all required a sizable hole dug at the beginning (and end?) of the run and the run...
6
6

Bathroom Ceiling Moisture
As a result of Hurricane Sandy, some rain seeped through an upstairs bathroom vent pipe collar, down to the bathroom ceiling above the shower. After it dried and left a stain, I twice sprayed Kilz on...
12
12

Harbor Freight coming to a location near me
WAHOO!!!! Just saw in the local paper Harbor Freight is opening a new store on the Naperville-Aurora border, about 1.2 miles from home. No more driving 30 minutes to the next nearest store. Now I am...
37
37

Basement wall finishing
Earlier this summer, I removed my radiant/boiler system and installed a furnace/blower system. Prior to the install, one part of prepping procedures consisted of removing my basement drop ceiling for...
9
9

Tool for Driving Ground Rod
The last time I put in a ground rod at this house, it took me a full day with a pipe-style post-pounder, and another day to recover. The soil here is about an inch thich over serious hardpan. I've...
23
23

the fixers manifesto
Mark We made this manifesto to help fuel the conversation about why fixing is so important. print it, illustrate it, display it with pride.
1
1

Recall: Imported Ball Valves Explosion Hazards
IMMEDIATE RELEASE December 11, 2012 Release #13-064 Firm's Recall Hotline: (855) 779-9200 CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772 CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908 Fu San Machinery Recalls Low Lead Ball...

GFI outlet
I believe most of my outlets are wired in one series to a GFI outlet in my garage but I'm not sure of the outlet beside my garage door opener. Is there a way to tell if this outlet is also protected?...
44
44

surge protector for a sprinkler controller
A couple of weeks ago I plugged a one outlet surge protector into a GFI outlet (well actually the next outlet adjacent to the GFI outlet; I think they are all wired in one series) in my garage and...
13
13

OT Driving in Russia.
a lot of vodka?

TV to quit waking baby, bothering neighbors ...
"Listen up, TV advertisers: Big Brother is muting you! Well, not entirely. But beginning at midnight tonight, new Federal Communications Commission rules will bar television networks from blasting...
38
38