80% vs. 90% efficient furnace.

The gas company in my area offers a rebate of $600 on any 90% unit which more than offsets the difference in price charged by the heating contractor for the two. I`ve read that the 90% models are prone to more maintenance problems due to their sensitivity. Is there any real good or bad choice for choosing one over the other? The units would be Goodman and Rudd models ( budget priced). Stephen
I have a hi efficiency gas (LPG) furnace in my house. It must be close to 10 years old. The only maintenance reqired so far was replacing the ignitor once or twice. I keep a spare around just in case. It's easy to replace yourself. The brand is Amana.

There is little differance in 80% and 90% models as far as maintainance. At one time that statement may have been true, but no longer. The complexity of 80% units has caught up to the 90% models. Most all 80% models have simular parts and controlls as 90% models. Go with the 90%, ans I would prefer the RUUD over the Goodman. Greg
With energy prices going up the way they have, I would go with the 90% unit with a quickness! (Also install energy star windows, more insulation if possible, and seal any air leaks.)
Then in the future you might have some money left over for more important things like food :-)

At this time of year, Trane and its' co-brand which I can't recall the exact name, American Standard?, offer a ten year parts AND labor warrantee.
Walt Conner

Carrier-Bryant and maybe Lennox- Armstrong have big discounts or increased warranties to 10 yr as well, till maybe a few weeks more. Carrier till May 1

Umm...everyone more or less offers that....York does...10-10..parts, labor, and even a travel allowance for the dealers...saves the customer even more money...

This is Turtle.
I would take the 90% afue any day over the 80% afue at the same price. I will say this I would tend to say that I see less trouble out of 90% afue models than the 80% afue models. Also given the choice of Goodman or a Ruud , i would take the Ruud. Now one thing here if the Ruud is replace with the second brand name of weather king / Frigidaire . I would concider the [ Goodman ] and the [ Weather King / Frigidaire ] as equal in my thoughts. Here is the South most hvac warehouses that sell Ruud will sell Weather King and Frigidaire too.
TURTLE

Ok...90% and better units have a secondary heat exchanger that MUST be serviced and checked...clog it with dust, dirt..etc and problems can develop...they have a better set of controls, and in some cases, more of them, and this is where a good installer comes in....the install means all. Those that claim they have never had service done....are either lying, or clueless as to what must be done to maintain the safety, and optimuim performance of the units. They are also condensing units...and precautions need to be taken in that respect as well.

Ruud over the Goodman anyday of the week. Goodman units love to pop out the ends of the heat exchangers...of course, any brand will give trouble if not installed correctly.