8 overrated home improvements

Page 2 of 2

I don't know my neighbors, because they are so far away, but most have barns. That's where they must store all the "stuff" you say people have. Since there are never any cars in driveways they obviously put their cars in the garage, just like I do.

a barn is just a really big garage..... 8-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Ah...I see :)

A LOT of classic cars are found in barns.
"h" wrote

But he wanted functional I bet!

Lets see, it has 2 'lofts' for longer term storage (Xmas stuff, things you need once in a blue moon). 18 box 'gym locker' for storing oddities on house repair, a chest freezer, 6 metal or wood storage shelves (most 28inch x 6ft) and a double decker tool box. 1 free worktable for small projects, and one large one for the router, circular saw, and other woodwoking gear (made of 4x4 with 1inch thick plywood over 1x6 'top' this is a very sturdy unit 3ft deep and 7ft long bolted for stability to the house frame structure but removable and can be a sturdy stand-alone unit).
We put about 3,000$ into wood and tools (mostly tools) to make this. Got shelves and stuff like the gym locker off freecyle. With it, we repaired 25,000$ worth of renters damage just for the cost of wood, paint, nails, etc. Oh, and a significant part was we saved 3,000$ off the cost of a re-fencing job because we had the tools, knowledge, a workshop and one handyman to assist with the heavy lifting.
Just like with a kitchen, it has to be designed right although it will have the limits of using just the walls if you want to park a car in there.
"Hustlin' Hank" wrote

Both right and wrong. One person's 'lovely kitchen redo' had me walk out less than 2 mins into viewing the house.
The worst part was she had a 'before and after' book out. The 'before' was a stellar workable kitchen. The after, was a kitchen built by a person who clearly never cooked more than scrambled eggs or microwave ready meals.
Some of what she did is 'debatable' as aspects some would like (but I don't). Marble counters in white with white grouted tile splashboard. Pale almost white wood cabinets with glass see through doors in almost all of them. Wonderful gas range removed and replaced with a trash compactor and above a stovetop of the white glass type (there was no oven). To create a more airy look, she had the cabinet depth reduced to 24 inches and installed a mini-2 sided sink (it was wide and short). Microwave was nice but above the stove top and too close for safety if you wanted to use the stovetop much. A charming breakfast nook was removed and turned into the spot for a huge fridge (must have been commercial as i dont see any that big at the local stores). This fridge was too far from kitchen central for good workflow.
End result, insufficient storage for pots and pans and most things would be 'out in the open'. Terrible workflow and counters reduced to 24 inches meant mini-sink was too small and not wide enough for safety for many types of appliances (especially anything hot with toddlers/young kids as you need to set those well back from the edge). Horrible problems anticipated over time with all that 'white' when cleaning normal spills and tomato sauce or whatever.
I've seen a LOT of botched 'kitchen redos'. If a lady actually cooks, she'll appreciate pretty, but *demand* functional first.
Now the garage? That can be a very nice one. Lots of places to hang things and sturdy shelves as well as a good workbench can sell the house.

A bad kitchen will kill a home sale.

there's some rich people down the street from me that have a garage I could live in very comfortably. I believe it has a one bedroom apartment in it,with a two story bay with matching garage door. you could put a car lift in there.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Kitchen yes, garage no.

re: 5. Bedroom deck
That one really, really depends on the layout of the house.
If the deck is for easier access to the yard, then it could not only be a good investment but also "deliver on its promise of luxury and enjoyment".
I added a deck off of a room that could easily be a bedroom. The reason was that the room is at the back of the house, where we could see the backyard, but not get to it.
To get to the backyard, you either had to go out the front door and around the house, or down the basement stairs (which took you to the front of the house) and then walk back to the back of the house and out the basement door.
The previous (original) owners lived like that (with 4 kids) for over 30 years. I added a sliding door, deck and stairs down to the yard the first summer I was in the house.