75w bulb in 60w socket?

Page 4 of 4

I think this is the answer to the OP's problem. Just stick some CFs in there. You can get a 100-watt equivalent for only 23 watts - well below the 60-watt limit.

No, that is not the answer. CF are not to be used in a globe. Read the fine print on the box and you will see then specify otherwise.
I have a Flourescent (sitting around) that I'll screw in every year or so. Then I'll see the hue that it throws off and remember why I shelved the stupid thing in the first place. I hate those bulbs. Hurts my eyes..
I'll pay 100 bucks a year NOT to have a headache all the time..
Pisano wrote:

I would try a different one. They are not the same in color. In fact, most non-Sylvania spirals 13-15 watts I find to have an impressively incandescent-like color. I also found this true of Feit Electric spirals up to 23 watts.
Pawlowski wrote:

Most CFs up to 14 watts don't work too badly in globes, especially if operated base-down or horizontally.
Some CFs are even specifically rated for even worse heat hellholes - namely recessed ceiling fixtures. These include the Philips SLS 15, 20 and non-dimmable 23 watt ones.

Two of mine are mounted in ceiling sockets, bottom up -- but totally UN-enclosed.
Any benefits/disadvantages from having base-up? eg from any possible mercury ending up in wrong place during ignition?
David