6ft 1500W baseboard or 1500W space heater?

I was looking to put in some kind of supplemental heat in my basement. This would only be for the winter. I was thinking of a 6ft 1500W electic baseboard, but from what I've resarched, a 1500W space heater puts out the same heat (5115 BTU's). I already have a dedicated 110Voutlet ( I have enough wire to feed in the baseboard and convert to 220 if need be). Obviously the biggest advantage is I save wall space and plus I can put the space heater away when the season is over. Any opinions? Would I gain anything by putting in baseboard?
The amount of heat and efficiency of each are exactly the same. I suggest you are a much better judge if you would prefer stand alone or baseboard.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Do baseboards last longer? When I was using a space heater heavily a couple years ago it burned out after a few months.
--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:

Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Ditto
I have an old oil filled electric radiator that must be 30 years old. It still works perfectly.
---MIKE---

I've heard that ceramic heaters are more efficient.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

How can you get more than 100% efficiency with a resistance heater?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:53:29 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"

Greater than 100% efficiency for a heater would require some energy other then that supplied to the heater.
Perhaps imaginary heat counts...
That's what the package said, so many years ago. More heat for your money. I'm not sure that's true.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Heat is heat for the same wattage. I'd go with the method that suits your lifestyle and room use. If you are going to go with a space heater, consider one of the oil filled units as the unit is at a lower temperature, less risk for burns if you have pets or kids.
A space heater with thermostat and a fan will give you the most "bang for he buck."
Were I you, I would set the heaters on the "medium" setting which is typically about 750 watts and use more than one and, if you can, plug them into outlets on different circuits and circuit breakers.
You put the heat where the people are rather than attempt to heat the entire basement.
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:29:43 -0700, Mikepier wrote:

I basically one of each. I prefer the hydronic or oil filled baseboard heater. (I wouldnt bother with non oil filled models) They get much less hot to the touch which is safer for my son and the stuff he may put on it when I am not looking. They heat more gradually and smoother than my other heater. Plus it does not have a fan, so its silent which is better than the one I have with the fan on it. Since I have a theater in the basement.
If you can convert to 220, do it now. It will save you a few pennys each year. Both my blower and my baseboard are 220.
Of course if you have a cold natured spouce, the space heater (with fan) is more stand-in-front-able...
CL