5 HP Briggs

I have a old 5hp model 130000 B/S engine on my snowblower. Can not start the engine unless I prime it with gas through the spark plug hole. Took off carb and cleaned it also replaced all gaskets. Still won't start.I was wondering how this carb gets vacuum and if the breather tube could leak enough to cause the problem If so why does the engine run after priming? Frank

Installed new gasket with permatex #2 between carb and Engine.Would leak in the breather tube gasket at carb cause problem? Also noticed this carb has no check valves in fuel tank pickup tubes. Thanks Stormin M Frank
Y'welcome. I'm not sure about the other part.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Frank wrote:

Try using the choke.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?
Thanks Claud, Wouldn't bug you guys if I didn't know enough to choke the engine for a cold start. I think my problem with this engine is beyond simple starting procedure. Frank

try a leakdown test if you have the ability; leaky rings can cause hard starting, there won't be enough vacuum to fire it off at starting speed. Unfortunately the only fix in that case is a full teardown and rebuild. Does this engine have lots of hours on it?
nate
Thanks NBN Ya the unit is about 30yrs old. Runs good if I prime it thru plug hole. Any way of priming this engine by adding pressure to fuel tank by way of the cap? Frank
Frank wrote:

Hmmm, I wonder why choke does not work?
try a leakdown test if you have the ability; leaky rings can cause hard starting, there won't be enough vacuum to fire it off at starting speed. Unfortunately the only fix in that case is a full teardown and rebuild. Does this engine have lots of hours on it?
nate ____________________________________________________ Nate, that sounds like a likely bet. But there is a possible fix provided it is vertical cylinder rather than horizontal.
Low compression can often be fixed by removing the spark plug, position the piston an maximum low, and pouring some paint thinner in through the plug hole. I recently did this on an old engine that had virtually no compression. After 24 hours soaking in paint thinner, the compression was 70+. Can't fix them all this way, but it is worth a try. I always change oil after doing this but am not sure that is necessary.
Bob-tx
Bob wrote:

Hi, That sounds like paint thinner being solvent, you were freeing up seized rings.
Thanks Tom New gaskets and diaphragm installed. Feed tubes are clean. Only thing I am not sure of is breather tube. Could a leak here cause problem? (After thought package with diaphragm in it contained 2 diaphragms. Could they have over filled or should I have used both diaphragm one over the other?) Thanks Tom And Storman N. Frank

Breather tube...unless it's stopped up,I doubt it. As far as two diaphrams, one should fit. Carb kits will fit several different models. Another thing that came to mind; you mentioned it in another thread is the gas cap. If the tank isn't vented properly, gas won't flow. I had to clean the cap out as well; bugs thought it was a good place to nest. Simple test, blow through the cap and see if air will flow. These carbs are pretty simple. Think through the basics.
Not to sure of paint thinner in cylinder as Tom suggested what does it do? Has anyone tried it? Thanks Tom (I guess)
Frank wrote:

If you have a stuck ring that'll free it up.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel