4-wire dryer power cord **longer** than 6 feet

This seems to be my day for asking questions...
I need a 4-wire power cord for an electric dryer. The problem is that the longest stock cord I've seen listed is (like my corrent cord) 6 feet long and I need something at least 8 feet long. There was a reference to longer cords being available a much earlier posting but I havn't been able to find one. Does any one know of a source for a longer cord. I might be willing to pay for a custom cord; it may still be cheaper than moving the outlet.
Thanks! SZ

Might be easier moving the outlet,i think code says you cant have cords longer then 6 feet for stuff inside a building.Thats why most stuff you buy has 6 foot cords.
PoCambo wrote:

You "think" code says "stuff"?? You don't know jack shit about anything do you? Find a hobby. Giving advice isn't your forte.
--
Klaus

snipped-for-privacy@flexdesigns.com (sz) wrote in message

Hi,
The longest 4 prong cord that I am aware of is 6 feet. I have seen 10 foot 3 prong cords but none that are 4 prone and that long.
Sorry,
jeff.
I seem to recall that Home Depot carries a 9 foot 4 prong( two hots a neutral and a ground) dryer pigtail 10 gage 30 amp in their electrical department, not in their appliance department.
Stan
On 15 Nov 2003 12:41:42 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@flexdesigns.com (sz) wrote:

{Delete nospam for email}
(maybe against code but they do sell it) go an electrical supply house and get this or do this one off the web: http://electrical.aubuchonhardware.com/wiring_and_boxes/dryer_and_stove_cords/dual_power_range_dryer_plug-508489.asp or http://electrical.aubuchonhardware.com/wiring_and_boxes/dryer_and_stove_cords/range-dryer_plug-522401.asp this is just the plug then you add your own wire of any legnth you need - i would kick up the awg since the plug will accept 10 - 6 awg
(another one that is against code but they do sell the parts) get an surface mount outlet and 2 dryer cords and use the first one as an extension cord.
http://electrical.aubuchonhardware.com/wiring_and_boxes/electric_outlets_stove_and_dryer_plugs/dryer_outlet-513279.asp
original outlet ---> dryer cord #1 ----> surface mount outlet (attached to wall) ---> dryer cord #2 ----> dryer

Thanks everyone for our input!
I've got a call in to our electrician. I'll confirm the code issue as well. If it is a code issue, I'll probably just have the outlet moved. I'll sleep better that way!
Best, SZ
sz wrote:

^^^
"Our electrician"??? You have your own electrician?? And you're begging people in here for answers?? What a chickenshit.

They do make a 10' 4 wire dryer cord. here is the link. http://www.circuits2u.com/pages/PET90-2028.htm
That's probably a good idea, especially if it makes you feel better. But I don't believe this code crap. I did a short google search and couldn't find anything. However, since appliances usually come with their own cord, wouldn't the use of an extension cord of 6 feet or more violate the code? And if so, wouldn't it logically be illegal to manufacture and sell extension cord over 6 feet for interior use?
sz wrote:

??????? Always had to by one as there are many variations on dryer and stove outlets. Mobile home code usually requres 4 prong, while standard home outlets are 3 prong. You move you just might have to either change plugs and cord or outlet. Just did this for someone a few months ago!
-- Mike D.
www.stopassaultnow.org
Remove .spamnot to respond by email