4 cycle trimmer recommendations

Page 1 of 2
I am looking for recommendations for a 4 cycle trimmer.
Do the engines last much longer and less maintenance than the 2 cycle one?
Thanks.
On 4/2/2011 11:07 AM, Andy wrote:

http://www.protoolreviews.com/faqs/tools/2-cycle-vs.-4-cycle-engines
Jim

Thanks for the info.
With a 4 stroke having more parts to break and being heavier, I will go with a 2 stroke.
Andy
On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 12:14:12 -0700 (PDT), Andy

I've been considering getting myself a new trimmer as my old one is getting harder to start by the year, and has been difficult since day one. The carb heas been rebuilt about every 2 years and I always use fresh gas.
The Ryobi 4 stroke really has my attention. 2 stroke engines and I do not have a good long-term relationship, while I have 4 strokes that are half as old as I am that just keep going, and going, and going.
Andy wrote:

4 cycle engines are double the weight for the same horsepower or something like that, maybe triple. That's why they use 2 cycle engines on hand held devices.
--
All is as it is.

On 4/2/2011 1:03 PM, LSMFT wrote:

only a few ounces difference in the real world. As opposed to your fantasy land.
--
Steve Barker
On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 09:07:52 -0700, Andy wrote:

I don't recommend 4 stroke for any tool powered by a small engine. Supplied with a fresh oil/gas mix a 2 stroke life expectancy is measured in decades. I own Echo brand lawn tools some going back 15 or more years that have not had as much as a spark plug change. Oil and gas isn't hard to mix. I'm using a synthetic oil at 100:1 ratio for all my 2 stroke small engines regardless of their ratio requirements based on non- synthetic oil. They vary from 32:1 to 50:1. Most problems with small engine tools are carburetor oriented. If you keep the gas fresh and use a synthetic oil that contains a stabilizer like Stihl's, you won't have any problems if you buy a quality built tool like an Echo or a Stihl.
On 4/2/2011 1:18 PM, A. Baum wrote:

the gas mixing is not an issue, because the 4strokes still use mixed fuel.
--
Steve Barker
On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 20:18:34 -0500, Steve Barker

How the heck do they have them set up? Do they run the intake through the crankcase before it gets to the intake valve?
On 4/2/2011 9:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

exactly.
--
Steve Barker
On 4/2/2011 9:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

more info here:
http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS110R.html
--
Steve Barker
On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 22:33:41 -0500, Steve Barker

That is not a 4 stroke engine. It is a 2 stroke engine with transfer ports.
On 4/3/2011 2:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well excuse me. It takes 4 (four) strokes to complete a cycle. AND it has push rods, rocker arms and valves. Call it what you want.
--
Steve Barker
On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 17:36:11 -0500, Steve Barker

No, the information you pointed me to was about an engine with "four transfer ports" THAT is not a 4 stroke engine. The one you have may well be. Now it is possible their "low emission" engine IS a f stroke, but nowhere does it differentiate and/or say so - and IF yiours is a 4 stroke, I very much doubt it uses pre-mixed fuel..
The info you pointed me to says nothing about the fuel used either.
On 4/3/2011 2:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well please accept my apologies. APPARENTLY, they've (without my permission <G> ) quit using the 4-mix engines on the string trimmers. You now have to go to the brush cutters or the KOMBI system to get the 4-mix. I've got a FS-110 with the 4-mix myself and so do both my sons. I rekon they discontinued those.
--
Steve Barker
On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 17:52:04 -0500, Steve Barker

After doing a search on "4 mix" I found info on the engine. It has the advantages of a 4 stroke except it still has part of the disadvantage of the 2 stroke - higher than ideal emissions. Yes, lower than a 2 stroke because it does not depend on purging mixture to run - so at lower power settings it is not pumping raw fuel through - does it meet C.A.R.B. requirements?????
On 4/4/2011 6:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

yep.
http://www.stihlusa.com/whatsnew/news_fourmix.html
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

I have a Troy-Bilt four stroke trimmer and it has a separate oil container (no mixing).
It is quieter and smokes less, but the difference on noise is not that much (I still wear ear muffs when I operate it).
This is my first (and probably last) gas-trimmer so I can't make comparisons with two-stroke models. I can only say that I despise this unit. Heavy, loud, hard to control. I much prefered dealing with a cord frankly.

Electric is fine for a small area, but I have over an acre and would have to have close to 300 feet of extension.
As far as a 4 stroke smoking less than a 2 stroke. A 2 stroke should not smoke if the ratio of oil to gas, and the correct oil is used.
Bob-tx
On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 13:16:21 -0500, Bob-tx wrote:

The new lithium powered cordless work well enough that a big area can be weeded with just one charge. My neighbor uses a Worx GT 2-in-1 and it does a great job. If I didn't have 2 Echo trimmers, one straight shaft and one bent shaft, I'd probably buy a Worx.

Using synthetic @ 100:1 mix none of my tools smoke. The old organic crap like Lawn Boy sells will smoke at a 32:1 mix. That's just one advantage of synthetic.