38 year old freezer efficiency?

Page 2 of 3

I wouldn't trust energy stats, specially those provided by manufacturers. Ask your energy company for a real world cost break-down. Also, yer current freezer has lasted for 38 yrs. I, too, had a 30+ yr old refrigerator and 25+ yr old wshr/dryr set. They made 'em to last, didn't they!
Will you actually save money by purchasing new? My mom's last new refrigerator lasted only 5 yrs before dying an unrepairable death. That's jes about the time she would have started realizing some cost savings, but then had to buy a new one. Her current one, about 5 yrs old, jes blew a fan motor. Repairs cost over $200. Of her two chest freezers, both less than 10 yrs old, one jes died. The other got eaten by a bear (no kidding!).
Me? I'd stick with something that works.
me
--
vi --the heart of evil!

<stuff snipped>

Thanks for reminding me. A lot of people have said their new units have needed replacement or repairs very early on in their life cycle. That, of course, could alter the payback stats. The old A/C ran, uncovered in the window all year long, for 17 years. The fridge for over 30. I suspect their replacements, with the use of far more plastic parts, won't last nearly as long.
It's a lot easier to make the decision to replace when the old ones fail. A lot of the efficiency of new units comes from better insulation. I'd get a Kil-a-watt and see if insulating the outside of the freezer saved any money. It took 22 years for my Honda to reach the "can't repair it anymore" point.
-- Bobby G.

My thoughts too. As you pointed out, the true cost of operation is more than just the electrical useage. Personally I think I'd run the 38 year old freezer till it needed a repair and then consider saving what that repair costs and putting it toward the new unit. That's not to say the new unit will last as long but repairing (assuming the parts are still available) a 38 year old unit may be a first sign of more to come.
On a side note, things that I was once told were to last so many years, more recently I'm told those same things last perhaps half (or less) as long nowadays.... ie: washing machines, hot water heaters, refrigs come to mind. That's sad in my opinion.
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 11:42:20 -0400, "Robert Green"

Agreed. I couldn't see myself buying a big screen tv but the death of my old large heavy Sony made it a bit easy to swallow :) Of course I like the new tv much better but honestly if the old one was still working, I'd probably still be using it. I'm cheap but like to say practical instead. Besides I still have 2 daughters that regardless of age, don't mind asking me for money or favors.
<stuff snipped>

they
I nursed an RCA color TV for 25 years until adjustments could no longer correct the ever-enlarging image and the ever decreasing color saturation. It was still working when I curbed it. The difference between old CRT TV's and equal sized LCD/LED units is pretty impressive. So is the picture.
-- Bobby G.
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:17:44 -0400, "Robert Green"

I agree. If you have HD programming, it even gets better on the same LCD/LED tv.
<stuff snipped>

saturation.
TV's
Two exceptions. I now see how many actors/actresses have bad skin, teeth and plastic surgery scars. When watching wildlife videos reveals how even the most powerful of the beasts are plagued with insects. It's distracting to watch all the little black dots crawling around on their heads that I never noticed before.
-- Bobby G.
On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 03:34:23 -0400, "Robert Green"

I know what you mean <grin>.

If you watch Survivor you can see all of the bug bites on the players arms and legs.
On 4/12/2012 2:34 AM, Robert Green wrote:

That movie starlet you thought was so beautiful....... ^_^
TDD

Did you buy LCD or Plasma? LCDs use about the same amount of power or slightly more for same size screen.
I had a 45" Mitsubishi RPTV that lasted me for 12 years that I replaced 2 years ago with a 50" Panasonic Plasma. The Panny uses 400 watts, as compared to the Mits that used 210 watts.

Samsung model LN40D630 which I believe is a LCD. It had a sticker that based on its assumptions claimed to use about $20/yr electricity. I don't really know the real cost yet till I get the recommended equipment to measure it's real draw.

I can feel the energy they take when I walk by them in the store, or just put your hand on top. Led types run the coolest.
Greg
gregz wrote:

Hi, I think LCD uses lot less power than Plasma. We have 62 in. Panny Plasma for better pictures, specially black is real black. Plasma panel generates quite a bit of heat. They have built-in fans for that. Hope my next set will be organic LED panel.
On 4/10/2012 11:30 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

The LED LCDs are very good on energy. I have a friend with a 47" LCD, not LED. If you stand 1 foot in front of it, you can feel the heat radiating from it. On my 47" LED LCD, you feed no heat anywhere. For the fun of it, I will put the Kill-A-Watt on it and see the results. But it will have to wait because Kill-A-Watt is now on the 38 year freezer (other thread).
On 4/10/2012 1:35 PM, Ron wrote:

I know an idiot who will turn off all the lights like the 9 watt florescent over the kitchen sink to save electricity then leave the computer or TV on all night. o_O
TDD

Three things have rendered reliability out: planned obsolescence, bottom-line cheapness, disposability. It jes doesn't pay to make a long lasting quality product or repair products than be purchased new for less. No incentive for the user to purchase a new one. Seen any TV/radio repair shops, lately? ;)
--
vi --the heart of evil!

On the flip side, I was always amazed how easily PC's could be repaired - at least in the beginning. No video? Swap out a board! It's all a trade off. I agree with you. People won't pay what it's worth in time to have something diagnosed and repaired when that cost is perhaps half to three-quarters the price of a newer (and often better) model. I gave up fixing PC's for friends for that reason. They're grateful right after you restore megabytes of precious data - but not for very long after that. )-: Sort of "I know you saved my life last week, but what have you done for me lately?"
-- Bobby G.

Actually yes, one or two but I have no idea how much longer they'll stay in business. Maybe they sell the old repaired units to make a living???? I was willing to give my old heavy Sony away for free but they would have to drive 5 miles to get it and they said no thanks. It ended up in the garbage truck... kinda sad to see that but I wasn't willing to pay to have it fixed (assuming it was fixable).
On 4/10/2012 2:13 PM, Doug wrote:

My first 17" CRT computer monitor bought back in the 90's was $549.00 which was a low price because I was in the computer repair/sales business and got dealer pricing. The last time I bought a new computer monitor was several years ago at Office Depot and it was +/- $160.00 for a 23" Viewsonic LCD. The twin LCD monitor setup I'm using right now sending this post is a Dell Precision 390 I rescued from a business that closed and was about to toss it into a dumpster along with other almost new useable computers, monitors, laser printers, scanners and loads of other equipment. I haven't bought any new computers or network equipment in years because I come across so much current gear that's being tossed. The D-Link wireless N router hooked to my cable modem is a 2010 model I found tossed in the corner of an equipment room a few months ago. I may build a new computer with a quad core CPU but I won't need a new case, etc because I have so much of the other parts already. I constantly pick up used and broken things of all types that need only minimum repairs. I once got a 24,000 BTU window unit for my shop for free that had a simple bad connection on the compressor. What's the payback for a $600.00 AC unit that cost's nothing but a little sweat? ^_^
TDD