3 in 1 Oil (stinks)

What exactly is 3 in 1 Oil anyhow? It appears to be just a very thin oil. What is the weight of this oil? (such as 10w or 20w), Why can't a plain thin oil be purchased instead?
I have no problem with the oil itself and it's lubrication ability. I *DO* have a problem with the perfume they put in it. To put it exactly like it is, the stuff stinks. It's been nearly 24 hours since I put some 3 in 1 oil on the chuck of an electric drill, because the drill was left outdoors, got wet, and the chuck was rusty and not moving easily. The oil solved the problem, but caused another problem. Now my hands smell like 3 in 1 oil. That's 24 hours and the odor still lingers on my hands, even after washing them with hand cleaner, common soap, and dish detergent. So, here I am trying to eat my sandwich for lunch and everytime I get my hand near my nose, I smell that nasty odor.
Worse yet, now I have to figure out how to remove that stuff from the drill chuck, or everytime I use the drill my hands will smell again. I'm guessing brake cleaner might remove it, and then I'll have to use just plain 10W motor oil on the chuck.
The question arises...... Why the hell do they put that perfume in the oil? Why cant they just sell plain oil, which has no real odor? It's not a safety issue, such as the odor they put into natural gas..... In fact I dont see any reason whatsoever to put the scent into it, other than to reduce sales of the shit.
On 7/12/2012 3:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

MSDS says "faint odor of citronella":
http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/msds-3in58412697.pdf
Maybe put in the oil to keep mosquitoes away ;)

I always thought castor oil or mineral oil tasted bad. That's not the case. It's the density of the oil that makes one gag, like trying to swallow a..... well, let's put it this way. I don't know how the womenz do it. ;)
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!

What do you recommend as an alternate? I tend to use it because it is easy to use in the spout tip can, and has a screw-on cover so if it tip it over you don't lose most of the oil.

GC telles oil. The spout is very handy, but you can use #20 weight non detergent oil. Funny how the oils seeps through the vynal like container.
I used to use a spray contact cleaner by bullfrog. People would say, who is eating maple pancakes.
Greg
In article

The stuff gums up everything it gets near.
Far as recommendations, it depends on the device & conditions being lubed.
Erik
Zoom spout turbine oil. Odorless, or nearly so.
What do you recommend as an alternate? I tend to use it because it is easy to use in the spout tip can, and has a screw-on cover so if it tip it over you don't lose most of the oil.
snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote in

Be grateful that the oil sticks so well. That means it is topgrade for longterm protection..... :)
snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

You used to be able to get oil made from real whales. I have some and it works swell. Doesn't smell too bad either.
Don't know why it's no longer available; it is, after all, made from a renewable resource...

No sure how this is produced, but is a lightweight lubricant very clear, Nyoil. Another easy to use oil is LPS 2.
http://www.globaltowne.com/product_info.php/products_id/144
Greg
On 7/12/2012 12:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

where you put it much better.
Whatever you do, don't buy Kroil. It's one of the best penetrating oils out there, but you can smell it miles away.