250' of old 12/3 for $15 - Great buy or rip off?

Page 1 of 2

I just bought a 250' roll of 12/3NM for $15. The trick is that it is really old. The cable bends back and forth nicely without anything happening to the insulation, but the box is crumbling.
Is this okay to use, or might age have done something to it. Yeah, I know installed 40 year old cable is just fine, but this will be bent up some during installation, so it might not be the same thing. Anyone know?
They had a second roll, but I don't think I will ever go through this one. I just sold 420' of 14/2 (for $85) because I had a major wire surplus from garage sales; I just can't resist a deal.
Should be fine- as it's never had current through it, and therefore heat, as long as the jacket is ok, it should be ok to use! A great deal, by the standard of pricing in my area...
That goes for 120 bucks in the Chicago area-
YOWSAH!
Glenn http://www.goalelectrical.com/forum
Toller wrote:

money and buy it from you for $30 so you're not tempted to use it.
You should be fine (you lucky dog) as long as the wire isn't 'AL Cu-clad', copper-clad aluminum. Should be marked but clip the end to make sure it is not shiny inside. If it is aluminum inside I would scrap it.

Actually the temperature rating is probably not the same as the new stuff. The cable that you bought is most likely rated for 60 degrees centigrade. The new Romex is rated for at least 90 degrees. Did you ever remove an old light fixture and find that the insulation on the feed wire in the ceiling box was crisp from heat?

year before the new stuff came out. No problems so far...

I've never been a fan of using yesterday's technology today.
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:17:44 -0500, "John Grabowski"

One reason to avoid sealed fixtures. To correct the problem, you can place a box ahead of the fixtire and run hi-temp wire the last few feet (formerly asbestos coated wire, not sure what they use now).inside of some greenfield.
OR
The easier solution, use Compact Florescent bulbs (made for sealed enclosures). And save some money on the electric bill too. Very little heat from them.....
Mark
Just out of curiosity, is this vinyl-covered NM with THHN-insulated wires, old braided NM, or what?
buy it, use it... just not on your own house. ;-)
I'm sure that 99% of houses that are 40 years old have 40 year old cable... and it works fine.
Don't buy aluminum cable though....make sure it's copper.

the wire insulation.
If the wire is 60 degree cable you can use it as long as you do not use it in any lighting boxes as the heat will cook the insulation, also it will not pass code.

I'd buy every roll on the shelf at that price.
Mark
------------

I would not use it for installing electrical circuits, but it would be okay for speaker wire or cord for misc uses so no it is not a rip off. Gauge #14 is for lighting circuits.
Phisherman wrote:

Yeah, that should be real practical for speaker wire or uses other than electrical circuits.
Phisherman wrote:

Care to explain just why you wouldn't use it for circuits? #12 is bigger than 14 and can be fused for 20 amp vice 15.
Harry K

Let's see: 12G copper wire is 20# per1000 feet. You have 750 feet, or roughly 15 pounds of copper.
Recycled copper is worth, oh, $1.50 per pound or, in your case, ~$25.00.
Heck, if you could strip off the insulation, you could almost double your money!
Believe me, it doesn't take 1000' to get to twenty pounds.
--
Steve Barker

"HeyBub" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message

it?
--
Regards,
Yes, and given your example of 12/2 w/ground being 750 feet, this roll weighs over 37 lbs.

"Doug Miller" < snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com> wrote in message
says...

You forgot about the ground wire. He has 1000 feet.