2004 18hp Briggs & Stratton no spark

I have a craftsman 18hp and recently had no spark, I troubleshooted it and determined it had a bad magneto based on the fact it had no spark. I replaced it new and it started fine the first time very easily with plenty of spark. The next day no spark again and no start. I eyeballed the gap on the magneto, does anyone know what might be going on?
Thank you
Bob

Use a piece of notebook paper folded twice, making 4 thicknesses of paper. Insert paper, then turn Crank/flywheel around to magnet side so both 'tongues' of the magneto sticks to it, then tighten the bolts. Gives a decent gap so it doesn't have to be eyeballed.
There should be no points. Electronic ign. in the newer motors.

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 17:20:42 GMT, "John Lawrence"

Who says it's newer?

2004 is newer. Points haven't been used for years.

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 22:41:24 GMT, "John Lawrence"

Oh, it says 2004 in the subject line. I hate it when people put info in the subject line that they don't put in the body. It wastes my time, like it did in this case, and it wasted yours too by extension.
And I sort of think it is stupid. When people write a non-fiction paper, they don't put info on the title page that they omit from the text.

I'm with you there.

Could be a bad ignition module. I had an engine with a bad one that would only run when it wanted to. Replaced the module and it ran fine.
Frank
Frank, Is that the silver box with yellow wire and red coming out? Frank K. wrote:

That sounds like it. Mine was in a black bakelite housing.
Frank