2 split units

Hi: I'm building a house and am evaluating a bid for my HVAC. The house has full basement, 1st floor is about 3300 sq ft, 2nd floor is about 1000.
Bid calls for Frigidaire 5 ton for 1st floor and basement, 2.5 ton for 2nd floor. Metal ductwork (not flex).
Questions:
1) Bid puts both outside units side by side. Is that ok or should they be far apart?
2) Bid only has one main return on each floor, no return registers in other rooms. Is that ok? I thought it was important to get returns into bedrooms where doors would be closed restricting flow.
Any other comments anyone has regarding reliable units or whatever will be appreciated. Also, what should ballpark cost be?
thanks, russ snipped-for-privacy@tva.gov
See answers below Don't tell me what I can understand, tell me what I can't mis-understand (Gen. Douglas McArthur)! No matter what you do you are a problem solver....what do you do? Arthur, Website: www.arthurhewett.com Email: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net
see body of text

How does this compare to your 3 other bids?