2-gang box in place of single-gang?

Is there any simple way of replacing a single-gang box (already in the wall) by a 2-gang? Adding an "old work" box alongside the original one isn't going to allow me to use a regular 2-gang wall plate for the two swithes or outlets, and I don't see how to remove the old box and replace it with a 2-gang "old work" box.

MB

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Some boxes allow you to remove the side and attach an extension. If your's doesn't, you are out of luck unless you can get the old box off.

If it is a switch, you can go to the kind that has two in the space of one.

Reply to
Toller

You can definitely get the old box out, but it's just a matter of how much damage you'll do to the wall in the process.

Reply to
George Elkins

Sometimes you can get a sawzall blade between the old box and the stud and cut off the nails. A hacksaw blade with tape wrapped around one end for a handle would be a lot slower but give you move control so you don't wreck the wall or cut the wires. (wrap it so it cuts on the pull stroke)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob
[snip]

I have a small plastic handle that holds a hacksaw blade that way.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Or take the device out of the box, and grind the fasteners off with a dremel tool.

Reply to
Goedjn

I have had pretty good luck by cutting the hole out to the 2-gang width, then carefully prying the old box away from the stud. Be sure to not let the box wobble much, so it doesn't damage the top and bottom of the hole. If you are careful there will be very little damage, which will be covered by the wall plate.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill

It's really not too hard to do. You remove the old single gang box, which can be a little tricky depending on how it's attached to the stud. once you have the old box out, you can enlarge the opening in the drywall and intall a 2 gang box. get you one of the boxes that has the little "ears" that clamp onto the drywall and it will make installation much easier.

I just did this same thing in the house I just moved into.

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

The hacksaw is how I got my old box out so I could do the same thing. But I had one with a handle on the end instead of wrapping tape around it...

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton