2 Cycle Oil v/s Outboard Oil (for chainsaw)

For my chainsaw I normally buy the oil to add to the gas called 2 Cycle Oil. Recently the store did not have any, so I bought a thing called "Outboard Oil" (which says for 2 cycle outboard engines). Someone told me to not use that stuff since it's not the same. I disagree. Why would a 2 cycle chainsaw engine be all that much different from a 2 cycle outboard engine? Actually I used to use nothing but plain motor oil added to the gas, but I heard more than once that motor oil does not lubricate as well, so I spend the extra money and buy the stuff intended.
Anyone have an any comments about this?
Thanks
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 14, 2:16 am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

While I don't have an outboard motor, I do have 2 stroke saws, blowers and weed wackers. I've even put oil and gas mix into a 4 stroke lawnmower in a pinch (Gasp!) with no ill effects. It sounds like you've got some sense and experience to back it up. I wouldn't worry. Let us know if it goes wrong ;)
John
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 14, 2:16 am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

RTFM. Then select the product according to use. One type is for water cooled two strokes, and one type is used for air cooled.
You can learn a lot in those directions, and Google, too.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 13, 11:16 pm, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I run 4 saws, some of them professional grade. I use nothing but the chainsaw oil. I like my stuff to still be in one piece at the end of a session so I don't take chances with "might be the same".
I live in a small town (2,000 pop) that is dying (half the stoe fronts vacant). Even here I can name 3 different business dthat all carry both outboard and chainsaw type. At least one of them will have what I want.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 01:16:58 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

When I bought a 4 stroke outboard I ended up with a gallon of TCW-3 left over. I used it all up in my chain saw, weed eater and a 2 stroke lawn mower I had at the time. I had no ill effects. When it ran out I started buying regular lawn type 2 stroke oil. If you get it in a gallon jug the price is about the same.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 14, 2:16 am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I also use standard 30w oils in my dirtbikes. They would get covered with mud and i am sure they ran a little hot. I never had a problem other than normal wear. I knew this because my pistons, rings, bearings would last just as long as my fellow riders who used the special oils. I mix it 20:1. With the new oils, they have additives which help with lubrication and less fouling of plugs and burns cleaner, therefore, you don't need to mix it at a 20:1 ratio.
So, in my opinion, i doubt it makes any difference.
Hank
Add pictures here
✖

Outboards are water cooled and don't get as hot as chainsaws and other 2 cycle power tools with air cooled engines. The oils are formulated differently. A one time use probably won't make much difference in the life of the chainsaw.

✖
On Nov 14, 5:28 pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

I ruined a Husky... chainsaw by using Outboard Motor oil. At the time I didn't realize the difference. I used several quarts over a year or so.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/13/2011 11:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

the difference is the water cooling. But having said that, I ran quicksilver (mercury outboard) in about 100 pieces of air cooled two cycle equipment at the lawn and landscape place i worked for 12 years. Never a lube related failure.
--
Steve Barker
✖