2 Cycle Oil v/s Outboard Oil (for chainsaw)

For my chainsaw I normally buy the oil to add to the gas called 2 Cycle Oil. Recently the store did not have any, so I bought a thing called "Outboard Oil" (which says for 2 cycle outboard engines). Someone told me to not use that stuff since it's not the same. I disagree. Why would a 2 cycle chainsaw engine be all that much different from a 2 cycle outboard engine? Actually I used to use nothing but plain motor oil added to the gas, but I heard more than once that motor oil does not lubricate as well, so I spend the extra money and buy the stuff intended.

Anyone have an any comments about this?

Thanks

Reply to
jw

While I don't have an outboard motor, I do have 2 stroke saws, blowers and weed wackers. I've even put oil and gas mix into a 4 stroke lawnmower in a pinch (Gasp!) with no ill effects. It sounds like you've got some sense and experience to back it up. I wouldn't worry. Let us know if it goes wrong ;)

John

Reply to
teabird

I run 4 saws, some of them professional grade. I use nothing but the chainsaw oil. I like my stuff to still be in one piece at the end of a session so I don't take chances with "might be the same".

I live in a small town (2,000 pop) that is dying (half the stoe fronts vacant). Even here I can name 3 different business dthat all carry both outboard and chainsaw type. At least one of them will have what I want.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

When I bought a 4 stroke outboard I ended up with a gallon of TCW-3 left over. I used it all up in my chain saw, weed eater and a 2 stroke lawn mower I had at the time. I had no ill effects. When it ran out I started buying regular lawn type 2 stroke oil. If you get it in a gallon jug the price is about the same.

Reply to
gfretwell

RTFM. Then select the product according to use. One type is for water cooled two strokes, and one type is used for air cooled.

You can learn a lot in those directions, and Google, too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I also use standard 30w oils in my dirtbikes. They would get covered with mud and i am sure they ran a little hot. I never had a problem other than normal wear. I knew this because my pistons, rings, bearings would last just as long as my fellow riders who used the special oils. I mix it 20:1. With the new oils, they have additives which help with lubrication and less fouling of plugs and burns cleaner, therefore, you don't need to mix it at a 20:1 ratio.

So, in my opinion, i doubt it makes any difference.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Outboards are water cooled and don't get as hot as chainsaws and other

2 cycle power tools with air cooled engines. The oils are formulated differently. A one time use probably won't make much difference in the life of the chainsaw.
Reply to
Larry W

I ruined a Husky... chainsaw by using Outboard Motor oil. At the time I didn't realize the difference. I used several quarts over a year or so.

Reply to
Frank Thompson

the difference is the water cooling. But having said that, I ran quicksilver (mercury outboard) in about 100 pieces of air cooled two cycle equipment at the lawn and landscape place i worked for 12 years. Never a lube related failure.

Reply to
Steve Barker