Subject Author Posted Replies

Backsplash: Tiles over Painted Drywall?
My tile experience has been on replacement floors or over cement board. I (well, SWMBO) want to put a tile backsplash above the backsplash built into the kitchen countertop. The wall is painted (many...
5
5

Homemade concrete mixer
Anybody have the link to an article on fashioning a concrete mixer from a washing-machine tub, some pipes, a small electric motor, and, possibly, lard? Thanks.
17
17

Bad electrical connection- load-testing
My electricity has been causing flickering of lights and occasionally shutting off my computer. This seems to be occurring on more than one circuit. How effective can a load-test be to locate a bad...
7
7

It's in the fine print
Man installs $20,000 solar power system and sells power back to his utility. They charge him for the power he used from the utility PLUS the power he generated, then they credit him for the power he...
3
3

Blowing out water lines with compressed air
want to use one of these to blow out my water lines on a vacation home. I'm going to try to connect it to an outside hose fitting. Problem is this is a male and I need to convert it to a female....
21
21

Are pine trees and pine wood as good as other firewood?
Are pine trees and pine wood as good as other firewood? I"m trimming a pine tree that has branches** that have been dead for about 2 years, and I would put the branches in my firewood stack except I...
31
31

Building a small low balcony.
I'm making a small, low balcony, just 28" off the ground. Am I generally required to put a railing around this? The railing would interfere with the view of the yard. If I put in steps, is a...
10
10

Gravity loop
I put in a gravity loop on my kitchen faucet and it works great. I have one problem though, and I don't know if it is associated with the loop. I have a water boss water softener. When I use the...
1
1

Heater Thermostat wiring questions.
I have a gas-fired baseboard hot water heating system with an old mercury thermostat. There is a 3-wire conductor running from the heater to the mercury thermostat, but only two wires are connected...
6
6

another reason *not* to buy a front loading washer
Mine is a Frigidaire 6000 series [affinity], but while searching for a cure it appears that they all suffer from the same flaw. We've had ours for a couple years now & yesterday I got an E20 error...
27
27

Pools sweeper
The Kreepy Krawley (however you spell it) works for 5-6 minutes, stops, starts again after backwash, works 5-6 minutes, repeat process. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be and how to fix...
2
2

Laminate shingles - How long on roof?
How long can I leave these on the roof? They are in bundles plastic wrapped no more than 2 high - temperature in 60's, sometimes low 70's. They have been up there for 3 weeks so far and seem...

Removing veneer?
Want to refinish a night table. It has a veneer coating which has cracked and chipped. I'd like to get it off. Any suggestions,
5
5

California car insurance asking for odometer reading
I received a form from my car insurance company asking for the odometer readings of our 3 cars. My concern is that this is not going to be representative of our future driving distance. My wife's...
25
25

How to fill hinge and latch recesses
I'm permanently removing a door. How do I fill the recesses that the hinges fitted into? They are about 1/8" deep by 3.25 x 1.25". They will be painted. Can't just smear it with wood filler,...
9
9