Subject Author Posted Replies

Car wash
If I use hot water in my pressure washer and it's 20 degrees out will I crack my car windows?
37
37

finish a basement
How do you do the wall? Just studs and drywall? What of moisture if any? How about the floor, same thing? Studs and flooring? I never did it before.
5
5

Spa GFCI Trips with 120VAC load. What next?
The Background: I had the motor on my 1994 FunSpa go bad on me. I purchased a used one from a local spa dealer. Before I hooked up all the plumbing, I hooked up the electrical wires to it and fired it...
23
23

experience with reinforcing floor joists
My house was built in the 1970s when apparently there was a huge shortage of either lumber or smarts. 2x8 joists, 12" O.C.,14' span 1x3 X bracing in the center of the span 1/2" plywood subfloor nailed...
7
7

Work Shops - Electrical - Home Wiring
l good info for a home owner. Unfortunately I found this a little too late for most servers. 33d I use supernews
6
6

Leak in spa heater
I've got an old Laars Telstar 50,000 BTU spa heater. Just developed a leak in the heat exchanger. The leaks are real easy to see and they are not under much pressure. Just a couple of tiny sprays are...
13
13

standard kitchen cabinet depth
I have made a lot of kitchen cabinets, but I have never decided for sure what standard 24 inch depth means--is it the overall depth of the carcase, or is it the overall depth of the cabinet with...
16
16

Concrete overlay question
Hi everyone! We would like to have polished, stained concrete floors in some rooms where we formerly had carpet. We removed the carpet but still have some remnants of the adhesive that held down the...
10
10

HF 3 Stage Charger - thoughts?
Anybody got any +/- words about this 3 Stage unit. Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to...
26
26

Taping drywall - Third coat of mud
I have applied the second coat of mud over the tape and last night I did a little bit of sanding so smooth things out a bit before adding the last coat. Do I need to wash the dust from the sanding off...
20
20

Grinder question.
Yup that's what I was thinking off, often called 'Dressing' a grinding wheel? I recall my dad had a large old fashioned tool for dressing or 'truing up' his, large, e.g. 15 inches, slow, 'wet'...
2
2

NEC for dummies
Any book recomendations for the current electrical code in NJ. I have a lot of electrical work to do and need a reference for residential wiring. I need something in between the typical picture books...
31
31

My little screw-up
We learn from our mistakes. That is why I am posting this. Learn from mine. I recently finsihed my basement. I built walls, installed drywall, carpet, paint, etc. After I did all this, one of the...
11
11

Vinyl siding question from rookie
Most of my house is the cheap frame siding with several rotten-out boards. Does vinyl siding go over top of the frame siding or is the old frame removed? Thanks
4
4

Not electrocuted
Earlier I posted some dumb questions about installing a new doorbell (have hated forever the cheapo that was there when I bought the place). Finally got a friend to press the doorbell while I threw...
11
11