Subject Author Posted Replies

Window glass replacement?
Is this possible...I have an octagon window approximately 20" across. It's dual pane and has lost its seal so there is moisture inside. Would it be possible to pull off the interior wood trim and...
7
7

Two pool questions: What "mortar" or "grout" to use; and how to get rid of green (algae?) spots?
I have two questions about pools. 1. About six to ten inches of mortar are missing from the top corner of an edge of the tiles at the top of the pool. These tiles get wet but this particular edge is...
12
12

need help for a small gap between kitchen sink and backplash
I recently replaced the linoleum counter top in my kitchen, as well as the sink. My problem is that there is a quarter inch gap between the top-mounted sink and the backsplash and I need suggestion on...
11
11

trying to match kitchen cabinet doors
I bought new kitchen cabints (white with white foil doors) and the company when out of business before I got all my cabinats. I'm trying to match the doors so I can finish my kitchen. The stores I...
3
3

OT BP again
OT BP again So they capped the pipe. Where was this cap for the last 89 days? Why don't they have three of them or more, at least one on each continent where they have off-shore wells? Why was every...
33
33

Best Lubricant for double-hung wood windows in aluminum track?
I have just finished reglazing one of my double-hung windows with new thermopane glass, refinished the wood frame and am now ready to reinstall in the aluminum track. I am thinking WD-40 is not the...
7
7

Wheel Horse lawn tractor wheel slipping
I've got an hold Wheel Horse lawn tractor (probably from the 80s) with a 12 hp engine. I got it about 5 years ago, and except for the problem of mice building nests in the engine compartment, it's...
4
4

submersible well pump
I have a 4" steel well casing, the top 5' of the casing is so encrusted with rust scale that I can't get the pump out. I have tried chipping out the scale but can't get it all. How would a well...
2
2

Cold Patch For Asphalt Driveway
Hi, Have some decent size holes in my old asphalt driveway. Perhaps 8" or so deep X a foot or so long. True holes; not really cracks. Have never repaired anything like this myself. Guess what I need...
3
3

facing of cabinet below sink
this is a fairly new cabinet(s)(approx 2yrs) ....but under the kitchen sink the bottom of the facing which includes both door openings is pulling away or has come loose from where it was at one time...
5
5

Tomato cages
I have 5 ft tomato cages but the plants will probably reach 7 ft and are now falling down. Should the plants be pruned, will this encourage new low growth or limit it, or do I do what I have done in...
24
24

Pin holes
I grab a paint can from the basement to paint a door. After the job I notice a puddle of pain under the can, a trail of paint from the bench and a puddle on the bench. There was enough vacuum in the...
8
8

Estimating/Measuring Hot Water Heater Electrical Usage?
I have a traditional 220 volt electric hot water heater and would like to estimate or measure how much electricity it is using. Suggestions? Has anyone here done this? What results did you find? Are...
22
22

Unsticking a frozen back brake cable
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look rusty, but that's probably what it is. Liquid Wrench, or WD-40? Bob
61
61

Automatic Pool Water Leveler, Anyone Built One?
In the summer I probably lose 150 gallons a day or so to evaporation with the level falling about 1/4" per day. If it falls below the skimmer level the pump will such air because the bottom drain is...
45
45