Subject Author Posted Replies

shrub damage to house wall
Do these shrubs so close to a house wall pose any future problems for the house brickwork? for advice. http://tinypic.com/r/2sbtyz5/7
18

Electrolux washing machine squealing
I worked on an Electrolux washing machine yesterday. Top load machine, fairly new. Customer complaint of squealing, at high speed. Turning the drum by hand (from inside the machine) produces no noise....
8
8

Caste Iron Drain
I have a '29 house that I'm working on the kitchen drain. There are a whole series of ~ 2.4 " (OD) cast iron elbows that come out of the wall and flow into the main line. What I'd like to do is...
13
13

Remodeling Question
I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. It is small. Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space and was wondering what to do. Would you eliminate one sink, or...
42
42

Flashing a Stone Chimney
Got a log house here, with a stone masonry fireplace and chimney. Chimney leaks because it's never been sealed to the roofing with anything other than tar (asphalt) Never been flashed. Watched some...
4
4

When did they start putting dampers in chimneys?
When did they start putting dampers in chimneys? At one time fireplace chimneys went straight to the top with nothing interfering, right? But my fireplace chimney has a damper, which I use to keep the...
26
26

Some things are better than WD-40
Popular Mechanics finds superior products for door hinges, guns, nut loosening, and other common chores. didn't test ALL the things WD-40 is used for, including bee bites and bubble baths.
2
2

Old antenna for new tv
I have an old antenna in the attic. When i moved into my house i hooked it up to the tv. It works ok. Some channels dont come in perfect some of the time. I've tried adjusting it w/ no luck. I see...
31
31

Best ways to wash a pile of gravel?
I have a pile of leftover driveway gravel (about a pickup bed full) that I'm planning on recycling for french drain filler, but it's very dirty and full of sediment. I spent most of the afternoon...
34
34

PhosFree for pool water
We've had a long, hot dry summer, but finally got some rain last night, and I've got a minor algae bloom a few places on the walls and bottom. I've used PhosFree for a number of years, and have...
28
28

Anybody hear of/know of SkidSteerExpress???
Nothing much on them, themselves on home page, etc. Have a couple things I'm interested in but hadn't heard of 'em and just thought I'd ask here as there are a lot of folks into a lot of stuff... A...
16
16

Toilet Flushing Mystery
I've got 3 of the same toilets installed in the house I built in 2005. One toilet has me totally freaked out. It doesn't flush properly and has gotten somewhat worse over time. I can hold the flush...
44
44

NEED INSTRUCTIONS ON FUEL LINE ON A CRAFTSMAN PYT4000
------------------------------------- _____,,;;;`; ;';;;,,_____ ,~( ) , )~~| |/~~( , ( )~; ' / / --`--, .--'-- ` / | ' ` | /
3
3

cutting floor tile
I am laying 12X12 glazed ceramic floor tile and naturally a lot of them have to be cut. So far all the cutting has been (and will mainly continue to be) straight line across the whole tile. I have a...
27
27

Tool gloat
I got my cement mixer hooked up the other day by stealing the 1 hp motor from my band saw. Just to get it running. I didn't like the looks of it, and wondered how well it would do with 180# of wet...
2
2