Subject Author Posted Replies

My amazing little Snow Joe blower
I have a little house in NYC so it never really paid for me to get a snow blower. But I'm getting near 60 and decided that I really didn't want to be lifting snow anymore. So last month I investigated...
44
44

Infrared Red Scanning....
.....for the home. Is it worth it? I repaired a loose connection in an outlet on an exterior wall. Upon doing so, I noticed a draft of cold air from under the outlet. Therefore, I temporarily plugged...
16
16

Snow shovels
Anyone have experience with the yellow Ames Snowboss shovel shown here? I like about it is that the left hand has a handle to grip so the hand doesn't slide up a slippery pole away from the blade...
53
53

Sealing around pipes in concrete foundation
Hi.. I'm trying to find a good way to seal around the pipes that enter our house= behind the toilets and sinks because we're having a problem with ants comi= ng through the gaps between the pipes....
5
5

Question on cleaning grout in corner of shower, without damaging tub...
What's the best way to clean the darkened, damaged grout in the corner of my shower without damaging the tub at the bottom? Any ideas on what to use (and how to use it?) Swore we wouldn't let this...
8
8

Re-condition table lamps
I bought 2 end-table lamps years ago. Neither cheap nor expensive, like the common fare at a decent dept. store. 95% metal, the bottom 1/3 is brass (or similar) plated steel (according to my magnet),...
16
16

Heatpump in heat mode with programable thermostat.
Was thinking of installing a programmable thermostat in our snowbird mobile home in FL but after finding out thermostats call for aux. heat (resistive) with a two degree change I'm leery, less I just...
7
7

Novus polish coverage?
I'm planning to polish about 12 sq ft of polycarbonate (based on advice in a past thread here), using the Novus polishes and possibly very fine sandpaper. Seems obvious that the 2 oz size is too...
1
1

Furnace or thermostat problem?
If my thermostat's been set to 64 or 65 all day and I bump it up to, say, 68, I find maybe 20 minutes later that the house temp (measured at the thermostat) is still where it was before raising the...
3
3

Does hard plastic (humidifier) develop micro-leaks?
I've had a humidifier and a cat drinking fountain both develop unexplained leaks. They both consist of a hard plastic base and a water reservoir that sits in the base, with a part that lets water into...
4
4

[OT] 1997 Plymouth Voyager Van and Erratic Door Locks and Rodents
This is a two part-er. The first part is about repairing a defective lock mechanism. The second is how to keep rodents out of the engine area. About 3 weeks ago after returning from a 4 week trip, I...
4
4

East Coast and snow
Now do you people understand what we go thru in WNY on a daily basis? I live on the Lake Ontario shore line. Plow, plow, plow at least once each day and several days 2 or 3 times a day. I must say...
30
30

What do you think of this plan to get rid of bedbugs?
I wanted to get your reaction to this plan. I don't have bedbugs. It's only an academic question for me, but someone sent this to me, and I'm interested in your reaction! We had a small infestation...
30
30

Lightbulb smuggling begins in California
"...the 100-watt incandescent light bulb will be outlawed at midnight on December 31, 2010. "Smuggling bootleg light bulbs into California would be a piece of cake. Just stuff them inside bales of...
13
13

Sewer/Water Policy
I am just wondering if any of you have an insurance policy covering the sewer/water lines from the edge of the street to your home? In my city, the city will cover any sewer or water line pipe, etc....
37
37