120volt thermostat

My home is heated with a gas fired hot water boiler. The system is presently controlled with a 1950's style bimetal thermostat. I'd love to replace the thermostat with an electronic set-back unit, but have discovered that the thermostat is directly controlling the hot water circulating pump--there's 120volt current running through the thermostat, enough to fry most electronic ones. I see though that there are electronic thermostats designed to control electric baseboard heaters, and will control 120 volt circuits--can I use such a thermostat to control my circulating pump?

Reply to
topswage

I dought 120 is going to the thermostat, its likely 12v or so, to a relay. Do you have a Honeywell round thermostat.

Reply to
ransley

there are 120 volt and even 240 volt thermostats in use today.

ww grainger sells them

call a local HVAC company they should have the set back type, not usually sold in stores because of the hazards installing. line voltage heavy current etc

Reply to
hallerb

Honeywell makes ( or made) a kit with a relay, etc. for converting line voltage systems to work with 24 V thermostats. Installed a couple of these in a shop some years ago, so I hope they are still available. That would solve your problem very neatly. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

How handy are you with electrics? Would not be much of a job to convert to a low voltage thermostat using a low voltage contactor like the kind you would find on an air conditioning outdoor unit. This way you wouldn't be limited to a baseboard type and could get as sophisticated or as simple as you want.

Reply to
Meat Plow

What did Honeywell recommend when you E ailed their support function?

Oh, you didn't bother to do that?

What was the result of your Google search?

Oh, you didn't bother to do that?

Why do you think several thousand amateurs on here in an anonymous Usenet newsgroup have an answer to your esoteric problem?

Please make an effort to do your own basic research.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Any of you guys want to tell me why this wouldn't work, as a simple solution?

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

It is not an esoteric problem. The exact same problem applies to everyone who has electric heat.

Reply to
Pat

That particular model won't work because it requires a 240 volt power supply to operate. They have other models that require a 120 volt power supply to work as well, and they too won't work in his application. He has two wires , a 120 volt hot leg, and a return, no neutral. Honeywell/Aube does make 120 volt two wire models that possibly will work for his application.

Reply to
RBM

yup, I'd think a doorbell transformer and a relay with a low voltage coil would solve your problem

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

And it's all contained in a box called Honeywell R845 switching relay. They're also made by Taco, Argo, White Rogers, and a host of others

Reply to
RBM