12 or 24 VDC Whole house water shutoff valves

Page 2 of 2
Take a look at http://www.assuredautomation.com/automatedvalves/index.htm
and at http://www.assuredautomation.com/101/buy_101.htm 3/4" 24vdc $299
Put 'water ball valve automatic' into google for more
Robert Green wrote:

I did a similar thing on ebay, searchined for 'valve volt', etc. Got quite a few hits, prices from $1 to $100. Most of them wouldn't work for this, but there were a few that looked like they might.
I founds this one by searching for 'DC valve'
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAGNATROL-VALVE-12V-DC-LV33A55-NEW_W0QQitemZ7540715779QQcategoryZ45039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Again, dunno if it would work, but one could use the model and mfr to go find tech specs.

categoryZ45039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Yes!!! This is what I'd expect to pay for a motorized valve. The item didn't appear to sell but they did list contact information so I will give them a shout and see if this valve would work for my application. $39 is lot nicer to the budget than the $400 Watercop. Thanks for the detective work, Matt, it was very helpful.
-- Bobby G.

Nice valve but at $300 it hardly saves any money over the existing Watercop units. I'm looking in the $40 range. I've got a list of candidate valves in that price range but have to get more information before I make a final decision. I'm waiting to hear back from my county inspector on what the regulations are in my locale.
Thanks for the help! It's much appreciated!
-- Bobby G.
Robert, As many times as Iv'e seen water damage, I like the concept. I bet you could actually start a business selling flood control kits. Anyway, I know you said DC voltage BUT if you can't find what you're looking for;
Maybe you could use a 24 VAC shut off valve normally used for refrigeration applications. Most refrigeration - HVAC wholesale houses have a variety of those. I'm speaking of a valve that normally closes in the event of power failure like is used in comercial applications on main gas lines to shut off the gas in case of an emergency.
Or how about possibly using a 120 volt solenoid valve operated with a 24 VAC transformer and control relay with NC contacts.
Just kicking around ideas because electric whole hose water shut off valves are very uncommon. At least I've never ever seen even one around here in my over 36 years of being a residential & comercial repair plumber. Good luck !
Robert Green wrote:

There are a number of folks marketing package solutions already, and from what I read in a business article, each one of those companies can barely keep up with demand. In some places, insurance companies are making them manadatory if you've had a water leakage claim and wish to continue with that kind of coverage. Water damage is the number one household insurance claim. Katrina's going to spike that statistic even higher, I am afraid. (Not that an electric valve would have any effect on hurricane damage!)

Yes - that's an idea. I am not quite sure what I want to have happen in a power failure state. That's why I am looking for something that could run a long time from an AGM deep cycle battery.

Yeah - I thought I could use a UPS to power a 110VAC valve and provide some level of immunity from a power failure, but I really prefer 12VDC solutions for such things, having faced a flooded basement after a tornado with a 110VAC Flotec pump and no live outlets to plug it in!

Wow! That's incredible. Everything I've read about Watercop and Flomagic and the others leads me to believe that there are plenty of them out there. I guess not.
Thanks for the info!
-- Bobby G.
If anyone is interested in the resolution of this problem, the solution cost less than $100:
http://www.smarthome.com/7115h2.html
[no affiliation - just a happy customer!]
It's a full port, 3/4" 6 volt motorized ball shutoff valve with compression fittings, an AC controller and battery backup power. Not sure if it's well-made internally as the motor housing is much smaller than the industrial process valves, but my limited testing seems to indicate no problems. Installed in 20 minutes with a tubing cutter. Meant for water heater control but should work equally well as a main house cutoff.
The controller, which I've mounted upstairs, has buttons for on, off and mute (it sounds an alarm if it's sensed a leak and caused the valve to close - that alarm also sounds if you close it manually). Couldn't ask for more! It's so inexpensive I am going to order two more to control the front and rear hose bibs so that they can be shut-off easily for vacations and winter freeze protection.
Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I just knew that the parts weren't really worth $400 that Watercop charges!
-- Bobby G.