100 amp GE double pole, double throw transfer switch wiring

Hi,

I think I was very confusing the first time so hope no one minds if I try again. I was able to find a better picture of what I have, zoom in on the inner picture.

The wiring from the meter box to the "transfer switch" are two black wires wired to the top two legs and a white wire to the bottom one. The silver wires (ground?) is cut.

The wiring to my panel box from the transfer switch are two black wires wired to the top two legs and a silver ground wire to the bottom leg. There is no white wire.

The generator has a red and black to the third leg and a white and green to the forth (where the silver and white wires attach)

The main panel has a wire exiting that goes to the water pipe and another line outside to a single ground rod.

I have a Honda generator. The idea is that when I want to use it I plug it in and pull the switch on the transfer box and this cuts off the connection to the meter and street.

Please let me know if this is correct or how it should be fixed. Thanks for putting up with a second try about this.

Greatly appreciated!

Reply to
SMF

Can you take some pics of what you have there now at the transfer switch, the panel and the gen? Post them online at one of the many pic hosting sites.

Reply to
trader4

Ok, I sent two pics to the group nyc.test. The first shows the panel hookup, the power comes from the meter in to the transfer switch from the upper left. If you look closely on the second pic you will see one left over strand of silver wire that was cut in the upper left.

Thanks again

Reply to
SMF

Just looked over at the nyc.test group. I see your post there minus the pics. Don't know exactly how it works, but with some groups you can post pics, others you can't Can you see the pics?

Reply to
trader4

LOL... This is what the earlier respondent meant by "take pics"

1.) Take useful pictures of whatever you are asking about...

2.) Upload those pictures to a free photo hosting website...

3.) Paste the links to the uploaded photos into the body of your USENET posting here in this newsgroup...

What he didn't mean was try to upload them as files on newsgroups as most ISPs don't support binaries newsgroups anymore for a large variety of reasons...

*IF* your panel is truly identical to the one you linked to on eBay (a bad thing to do because those pics will go away when the listing is closed, for future reference) then the wires going to your breaker panel should be wired to the set of contacts in the middle which are labeled "LOAD", one being black and the other red...

The incoming wiring is two hot wires and one bare neutral wire which you have said is wired up to the upper set of LINE contacts... The bare wire should only be connected to other white neutral conductors...

The generator power as you have described it is connected to the lower set of LINE contacts and consists of a Red wire, a Black wire, a White wire and a Green grounding wire...

Without a better description of where those are connected to, it is difficult to tell you if it is hooked up properly...

Is your main breaker/disconnect only rated for 100 amps ? So that the generator is sized to provide emergency power for everything in the entire house ?

You never really supplied any information on that at all in your earlier attempt at this same question...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Instead, I sent it to alt.binaries.er

This looks to be a pretty much empty group

I could see the pics in nyc.test. Let me know if you wouldn't mind an email.

Reply to
SMF

Sorry, I only spend a small amt of money a year for my usenet service so all I know is full capability.

The neutral goes to the bottom row with the grounds.

Red and black go to the a load strip and the green and white go to the bottom row where the neutral from the street and and ground from the panel are.

This is for emergency power. Besides I don't keep every light on in the house all the time. For instance now I have the computer, refrigerator, and two clocks and what ever gets drawn from some TV and other things plugged in.

Reply to
SMF

No. In his first post in this thread he says that coming from the meter are two black wires, one white, and a bare that is cut off. That is what appears to be a bit unusual. And per the other thread an electrician told him it was not right. Hence the need for some pics to try to figure out what is going on and what is connected to what.

=A0>The bare wire should

It would be pretty rare to have a 100 amp generator for hjis house now, wouldn't it? He stated in the other post that the generator is 30 amps. To which you replied that the 100 amp transfer switch was overkill. You think maybe he needs a 100 amp switch because the service flows through it too?

Actually, he did.

Reply to
trader4

Yeah, I re-read his other thread after posting here...

Its overkill and NOT being properly fed...

If he is hooking up a 30amp cord set to feed the "generator" side of the transfer switch he is just looking to burn out the generator...

A 30 amp generator should be hooked up to one of those proper generator transfer panels past the main breaker -- not in some cobbled together concoction which is switching lines

70amps more than the generator can provide...

OP should remove his "experimentation" from service and go out and purchase a proper kit for the size generator he is using OR buy a generator sized to the actual load connected which would be the main disconnect rating of the main breaker in the panel...

It is people like this OP that clearly demonstrate why _most_ homeowners shouldn't be allowed to do electrical work on their homes without passing some sort of knowledge exam...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan