Tick and Insect Barrier for Lawn

Last week I saw a tick hanging to my cloth, after doing some work in the garden at my back yard. Today I found one climbing the foundation wall.
First I suspect that my pet got it, but a close look at its fur revealed none. I tried to identified it with the tick chart, it is about 1/8th of an inch and black in color. Probably a lonestar or a dog tick I guess.
Since then I been researching on the web a good way to build a barrier between my backyard lawn and the tree area. During rainy season, its soggy wet, other times its dry. I wanted to spray some permethrin(?) on the tree lawn border area to keep the tick entering my lawn and house. I never had this problem before. This is a newly developed area so I am sure this is probably a local problem. Also I fairly keep my lawn tidy with least amount of leaves or grass.
Any one had experienced this and a good way to control the tick problem in your experience. I'm very much like to use some echo friendly stuff, if that works good.
TIA.

Guinai hens will do the trick.
.

As will fire ants.
here in ky ticks fall off trees on you. but really ,,spraying with a malathion i think kills ticks.