Stalling snowblower

Page 1 of 2
Hi, all. I have a problem with my Yardman/Tecumseh snowblower stalling. It was run out of gas in the spring and worked ok for the first two times this year. Now, sometimes it will run for 20 or 30 minutes and then stall other times it won't even run long enough for me to get back to the handlebars. It always restarts if I push the primer button, but doesn't always stay running. The gas cap was dropped and the rubber part and the foam part came out. (Am I missing any pieces?) I think I put it back together the right way. (Foam on the post then covered by the rubber funnel with the wide part inside the cap and the narrow part facing into the gas tank). I have also run the blower with the cap loose. There is fresh gas in the tank. When the blower stalls, it almost sounds as if it isn't getting enough gas. I am not at all familiar with engines so I don't know where to start. I don't want to take it apart myself, but I will if it can be fixed by a DIY.
Can anyone help??
Thanks
Frank in Snowy Michigan
take the nut off the carb fuel bowl,there is tiny passageway in it clean it out useing a tag wire or needle. running your blower out of gas leaves some gas in the carb that turns to gum over the summer. lucas
I would refrain from sticking anything through jets with the risk of damaging them. Use compressed air instead.

Thanks, but I have no idea where the carb bowl is on this machine. In fact, I couldn't even find the model number for the engine.
I liked the song at your link. Gives me the chills every time I hear it.

Depending on the age of your blower, it sounds like your carb might be dirty. Especially when you say it starts fine with the primer. You already ruled out the possibility of it being a "gravity" feed problem by loosening the cap, so that shouldn't be the issue.
Do you have an inline filter going to the carb? I'd check that to make sure it's not clogged. If you want to attempt repair by yourself, it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. I would pick up a repair manual for your model Tecumseh so you can get an idea of the work involved before you start. As long as you have a socket/wrench set, screwdrivers, and regular and needle nose pliers. If there are jets in the carb that can be taken out with a screw driver, make sure your screwdriver is the right size, otherwise you may end up stripping it (I've done this many of times). Just make sure the screw driver is snug with the jet.
I think the Tecumseh engines have a fixed jet in the bowl (again, depending on age). You may get lucky just by blowing the jets with compressed air (I assume you have an air compressor).
Have you tried running a bottle of Gumout carb cleaner through the tank? Pick up some of that and mix it in proportion (one bottle treats a tank full in a car!). This shouldn't be too critical since it's combustible and is somewhat like a fuel.
The theory of carburetors isn't difficult, so learning a little about them definitely may pay off for you in the future and save you lots of money. Knowledge learned now can be applied to your other pieces of equipment (weed wacker, chain saw, etc.). I've been in the small engine repair business for years, so feel free to ask any questions.
Mike

Thanks for the advice. This is its second winter. It was new last year. I forgot to add that I put some gumout in the fuel. How long does it take to 'work'? (Should I just try to let it run out of this tank of gas and refill it again?) {Even at $2.25 a gal. Gas is still cheaper than a trip to the repair shop.} There is no easily removable air cleaner. There is a shield next to the exhaust that covers the throttle, choke and 'key'. But the choke knob does not seem come off easily, if at all, and I am hesitant to force it. I could not find a model number for the engine. It is a 4 stroke I think it is a 5 horsepower two stage blower.
I did not see any filters in the gas line between the tank and where it disappears into the engine body.
The tube seems to be creased where it bends from the tank to the body, but since it is a soft tube, I don't think that is the problem.
What else can I add?
Thanks again
Frank
Still in snowy Michigan with about 4 more inches predicted by tomorrow

I'm surprised to hear this is happening on a machine that is two years old. Did the machine ever sit for a long period of time with old gas? Snow blower engines don't usually have air cleaners on them (mine doesn't; I've worked on many that didn't). The whole reasoning with that is the season they're used for is not dusty. Winter air is somewhat clean.
If the gumout doesn't help in a tankful, then there's a good chance it will require some manual cleaning. Do you know the model and make of your blower? I can try to find out what engine it is.

Well, it sat over the summer, but I had run it out of gas before I put it away. I have used this proceedure for all my gas equipment ever since I got my first mower.
The Tecumseh manual that came with it has LH195SA (HSSK50-55) Four Cycle engine Horizontal Crankshaft Air cooled. It also came with an electric starter (120 volt)
I was able to take the protective cover off over the choke opening, but had no clue what to do with it. Is there any way to bypass the ''key" for testing purposes?

Thanks for your thoughts, Srgnt. Don't forget that it sat all summer without any gas additive, even though I ran it dry last spring. I had the shroud off yesterday and there was no obstruction of the choke. It moved with the lever. When it dies, it is almost as if I pushed the throttle lever to the off position. Nothing will keep it running. But if I push the primer button three times, it will start right up again. As an addendum, I put the gas that was in the can into my car, and bought a fresh can and tried to use that with some gumout. It was no help. I will try again this morning.

Are you sure you put the gas cap back together properly? I wonder if there's a vacuum forming in the gas tank that's srestricting the flow of fuel...
Try loosening the cap slightly and see if it stalls then.

I have run the blower witht he cap off. It still stalls. There are only two pieces plus the cap. I put it together whti the foam cube touching the cap and the rubber part with the wide base over the foam and pushed down to seat it. If this is incorrect, I don't see how else it fits. Unless I am missing a part.

Then my guess was wrong.
--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he

--
restrorob

here is the winner
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley
Depends on the circumstances really. It doesn't take a small engine 20-30 minutes to get up to operating temperature. A fuel flow problem is definitely a possibility.
As Srgnt points out, you can check the spark plug. If there's a reddish/glazed appearance to the plug, the engine could be running hot. Speaking of the spark plug, was it ever changed? Here's some examples of spark plug conditions:
http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/spark/wrong_ht.jpg
If the choke isn't closing, the engine would be running too rich. Carb operating principles do not change with temperature.
Mike

Isn't that about normal for a Tecumseh
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley
No, I don't think so. This is the first problem I have had with any Tecumseh engine. And it is my 4th.

Help is here:
http://www.weldingfaq.com/V8snowblower-1.jpg
http://www.weldingfaq.com/V8snowblower-2.jpg
http://www.weldingfaq.com/V8snowblower-3.jpg
While it is nice, I only have a two car garage, three cars and a small shed.
Even though it isn't working right now, I'll stick with my 'one lung putt putt'. Thanks for the link.