Save the Locust tree

We have a vacant corner lot in the movin-and-shakin (such as it is, small scale) section of town. It's a rose garden, lawn, with a few veggies, fenced with 6' high chain link. . Gets lots of admirers. The problem is the locust tree growing right out at the corner, 3" within our fence, 50' feet high, with branches hanging over the sidewalk. Walkers seem to like the shade of the tree on the sidewalk. But the tree has a split trunk - a

5/16" cable, about 12' off the ground, has been holding it together for about 10 years. Yesterday we noticed the cable had frayed and only a couple strands were left holding it. Today I attached some chain and a turnbuckle and cut the trouble making branches off up as high as my extension ladder would take me. The tree has to be topped out - maybe cut back to 20' high. The lot is vacant, we make no profit from it, it is definately an attraction. What do you think the chances are of having the city top it out ?
Reply to
Srgnt Bilko

Where I live, any tree on your property is your problem. If it's on city or county land than they take care of it as they see fit.

Reply to
GFRfan

There's a soap box derby there tomorrow - all the politicians will attend. I plan to meet with the alderwoman and show her the problem - see what she says.

Reply to
Srgnt Bilko