pecan tree query

Got a pecan tree that grew to maturity and ended up bent over at an angle maybe 6' up the trunk. It was a good tree, and produced lots of pecans. A storm came along and the thing broke off the two main branches, maybe 8' up. I hope it grows back. Not sure if they do or not. However, on the assumption it might recover, I'd like to cut approx 2' off the branches where they start crooking over, and end up with an approx 6' high vertical, straight trunk.
Questions being: what time of year should I cut it? And, is it likely to grow back?
RB said:

What is the diameter the branch you want to sever?

Down? Anytime.

You said the tree was "mature", but that could be anywhere from 20m-60m. At 8' off the ground, you're perhaps talking about a branch that's probably too large to put out much new growth to be beneficial to the tree. Not to mention what little new growth it can sprout will be quite weak for a LONG time. You'll end up with an 8' stump, if I'm reading your post correctly. IMO it'd probably be best to remove the remains of the tree and enjoy your memories of it. Not an opinion you wanted to hear, I'm sure. But, it's an option you need to consider.
--
Eggs

-Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman she
The main trunk divides into two branches. Guess the trunk is maybe 8-10" diameter, and the branches go down to maybe 5" or so.
RB said:

If it were me, I'd remove it.
--
Eggs

Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?

If it does grow back, its going to look funky for long time. Small top growth, big stubby bottom. Cut at first day of no frost early spring. Trees are slow, be patient.
--
Jonny