Pecan Tree? Will it bear?

About 3 years ago, I was weeding under alarge picnic table that my husband and I built in our back yard. I pulled this particular "weed" and out it came, attach to the center of a cracked open Pecan. Thinking this was odd, especially since there are no pecan trees near my home, decided to put the pecan, roots, little tree, shell and all into a pot and see what happened. Well, three years later, it's a vigorously growing tree in a pot. It's about 1 1/2 foot tall now, coming from a "weed" of about 3 inches tall. My question is this: What are the odds this tree will survive? What are the odds it will ever produce anything? When should I put it in the ground? I'm almost afraid to do anything with it for fear of jinxing the good luck I have had with it in the pot. It's got a good set of about 15 "limbs" on it, and each year it gets bigger and more leaves. I am in Moncks Corner, SC which is about 20 miles inland of Charleston, SC. I would love to have a pecan tree, but prices of them are pretty high and I just wonder if I lucked out and got a free one, that one day ( I know they take a long time to bear fruit) will have pecans on it. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Bunny McElwee

luck but remember Pecan trees are not problem-free.

Reply to
told2b

In article , snipped-for-privacy@homexpressway.net says... :) About 3 years ago, I was weeding under alarge picnic table that my :) husband and I built in our back yard. I pulled this particular "weed" and :) out it came, attach to the center of a cracked open Pecan. Thinking this was :) odd, especially since there are no pecan trees near my home, decided to put :) the pecan, roots, little tree, shell and all into a pot and see what :) happened. Well, three years later, it's a vigorously growing tree in a pot. :) It's about 1 1/2 foot tall now, coming from a "weed" of about 3 inches tall. :) My question is this: What are the odds this tree will survive? What are the :) odds it will ever produce anything? When should I put it in the ground? I'm :) almost afraid to do anything with it for fear of jinxing the good luck I :) have had with it in the pot. It's got a good set of about 15 "limbs" on it, :) and each year it gets bigger and more leaves. I am in Moncks Corner, SC :) which is about 20 miles inland of Charleston, SC. I would love to have a :) pecan tree, but prices of them are pretty high and I just wonder if I lucked :) out and got a free one, that one day ( I know they take a long time to bear :) fruit) will have pecans on it. Any help and advice would be greatly :) appreciated! :) :) :) Any nuts you get off of the tree will be very small. Quality pecans are grafted on root stock and the seedlings revert back to the root stock variety that will be of poor quality. There are plenty of people who harvest the "native" pecans but they are a lot of work for little meat. Now if you are wanting a quality landscape tree, you should be happy.

Reply to
Lar