The old 8HP Wards snowblower is up and running. Tank was empty, so always
the optimist, I just made sure it had oil, poured gas in, choked it and and
pulled the recoil a few times. No attempt to fire so I was starting to take
the cover off the carbuerator intake for starter fluid when I realized this
old bugger has an on/off toggle switch. Flipped the switch but figured I
had fouled the plug by this time so I dug down in my stash and came up with
a brand new J19LM. Put that sucker in and a few pulls later - a puff of
smoke and put-put-put - all systems are go. Well not really "all". Very
stiff shifting so I will pull the cover off the lower end and clean off /
lube the shaft so the drive wheel slides easy. The chute was stiff also but
I doused that with oil and that freed up quickly.
So it looks like I can count on #3 for another year.
Oh no - I do - usually after I get them running once - probably before I run
it again. I buy oil by the case - usually have a case of 30W, a case of
10-30, a case of 10-40 - a little 5-30, some 20-50 & God knows what else.
I have a lot of brush, downed limbs, & old boards to burn so I use some of
the old oil to help start fires. Don't ask me what weight I use in each
machine because different "experts" have told me to use different weights
and my mind changes on a regular basis. As you know, the price of oil has
gone up but I find reasonably good oil for $1.50 per quart yet. The last
bunch I bought was actually from Rite-Aid <chuckle>
out of the weeds, dumping some fuel in them, and firing them up. I'm sure
they're not as un-protected and stuck in the muck as you let on, right?
I get a kick out of your recovery tales anyway. Ever get started on that
This one really was in high weeds and briars - our Dalmation couldn't even
follow me in. It had a small half-rotton tarp partially covering it. I
had to drag it about 10' through weeds and then up on a landscape trailer.
Bertha (the big 300) was up in the woods totally unprotected. The property
is basically clay and slopes about 900' up away from the road so a lot of
water comes down off the hill. The garden area was so muddy a few springs
ago that my lady stepped in it and sunk up to her knees - scared the hell
out of her. I keep digging draining ditches.
Finally just got a reasonable offer for insurance so I can proceed now. But
I might start with a 15 by 20 carport to shelter some of this equipment
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.