Mowing crazy

Hello, from a new member and straight into a question!
I recently reseeded my lawn (about 3 years ago) and did my best t look after it. Hollow tine,fertiliser etc. I now find it thick wit some very rough grass. Thing is there is quite a lot of moss in it thi year and I wondered if I left it in this year and did nt kill it woul it deplete the nutrients to the thicker grass and leave the lawn easie mowed and more managable. I must admit in the past that I did give th lawn a dressing of pelleted blood for greens. (The author of 'practica greenkeeping' worked near here years ago and told me to leave ou phosphates on the lawn when feeding as it only encouraged poa Annua.
All I really want is to keep the grass less thick so at least when mow it is not a chore and the cuttings are more easily managed. Alwy
-- Alwyn Reilly
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 25, 1:12 pm, Alwyn Reilly <Alwyn.Reilly.

You don't say what you are using to mow it and why exactly it's difficult. In any case, I would not be looking to thin out the existing turf as a solution. The grass should be thick, that's the sign of a good and healthy lawn and it keeps weeds out. You can lay off fertilizer, making only one application in the Fall, which would avoid growth stimulation during other periods. But, if you have thick rough grass, the main indication is that must be what you seeded it with. You should have used a finer texture grass. There are also grass alternatives that grow slower than others. Which one is best depends on climate, sun vs shade, etc.
Add pictures here
✖
Alwyn Reilly;786598 Wrote:

We have POA Annua and have just had it scarified (was done last autum as well) and is looking better - We live next to a golf course and th greenkeeper said the best way to get rid of POA and anything else unwanted is t hope for a good dry hot spell and don't water it - the grass wil recover but the grot wont
-- suemack
Add pictures here
✖
suemack;787499 Wrote:

Your Greenkeeper is exactly right. Same thing as my Greenkeeper sai about Poa being killed by a long hot summer
-- Alwyn Reilly
Add pictures here
✖
Alwyn Reilly;787500 Wrote:

I will keep you posted. This is my 3rd year with no use of phosphate and the lawn seems to be better. There generally seems to be far les poa. By the way Jim Arthur was the author of practical greenkeeping an its a great read if you are a lawn addict as well
-- Alwyn Reilly
Add pictures here
✖

Poa A. is an annual so it will die hot dry or not. It's the seeds you want to be concerned about and poa goes to seed before it gets hot.
Add pictures here
✖
Chas Hurst said:

If you're going to abbreviate, please abbreviate the *genus* and not the *species*. =)
"Poa A." could be:
Poa abbreviata Poa alpigena Poa alpina Poa alsodes Poa angustifolia Poa annua Poa arachnifera Poa arctica
They're all species of Bluegrass/Meadow-grass, but they're each a totally different plant, and abbreviating the species leaves 100% doubt as to which you're referring to. The genus, once established in the text, need not be abbreviated, unless the discussion turns to another genus starting with the same letter. In that case, the genus would need to be spelled out, also.
[rest snipped]
HTH
--

Eggs

After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in?
✖
I said:

err... "need not be spelled out"
--

Eggs

Time is money, money is the root of all evil, and knowledge is power.
✖

We were discussing poa annua. But thanks for being a pendantic boor.
Add pictures here
✖
Chas Hurst said:

[borked OE quoting snipped]

Yup. And, you apparently don't comprehend how Latin naming conventions work. Was just trying to help you understand it, so you don't look like an ass in the future. Apparently, you don't mind projecting yourself as such.

rofl
Hey, if you're going to try and use Latin names, at least learn how they work.
--

Eggs

-I know it sounds like I'm in denial, but I'm not.
✖
Eggs Zachtly said:

BTW, it's "pedantic". If you're going to be a Sesquipedalian, at least learn how to spell.
--

Eggs

-Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
✖
Eggs Zachtly;788495 Wrote:

everything. This is a very upsetting post for me. Alwy
-- Alwyn Reilly
Add pictures here
✖
On May 6, 4:52 am, Alwyn Reilly <Alwyn.Reilly.

The way you've replied, it's not clear exactly which post is so upsetting. If it's Eggs remarks about naming conventions, then you must be new to usenet.
Add pictures here
✖
Alwyn Reilly said:

[borked GardenBanter quoting snipped]

It's not a "forum" dumbass. It's a USENET newsgroup, which GardenBanter wants you to /think/ is somehow their "forum".

So? Get over it, or find a real web forum to play in.
--

Eggs

I went to San Francisco. I found someone's heart.
✖
On May 6, 4:52 am, Alwyn Reilly <Alwyn.Reilly.

as selfappointed official usenet referee in my own mind, i'm gonna give this one to Eggs. his post wasn't particularly nasty, he even had a smiley. =)
Mr. Hurst overreacted, setting off the usual usenet war.
Add pictures here
✖

Mr Hurst was seeking an answer to a question, which never happened. Since I can't spell pendantic, I'll just refer to Eggs as an asshole.
Add pictures here
✖
Chas Hurst said:

You're right. Mr Hurst's question never happened. Do you not even comprehend what you, yourself, typed? Go back and read the (/your/) post that I replied to, that started you on your trek towards The Deep End.
Where the fuck is the (/your/) question, moron?

Right, anyone who points you in the right direction, so you don't look the fool that you are in the future, is an asshole. Gotya.
There's probably still a lot you can't spell, with your sixth grade ejukashun.
*woogiewave* Mr Wasteofbandwith.
--

Eggs

What if there were no hypothetical questions?
✖

another immigrant from latin america. ha ha.
Add pictures here
✖