Milky Spore by Mailorder

I keep wanting to try this stuff but it is not cheap and there is considerable price variation between different vendors. Can anyone recommend a mailorder source? Thanks.
On 26 Jun 2004 07:06:16 -0700, galt snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dave) wrote:

I got mine from a local hardware store, but I've head good things about http://www.gardeners.com/ and their customer service.
BTW, you migh consider whey type of milky spore you get. The orginial was a power that you applied a small amount every several inches. This took a while. The stuff I found was the spore was embedded into a desolving clay granual(kitty litter like). You take it and spread it like fertilizer. Easier and less back breaking.
hth,
tom
**************** http://www.Intertainia.com *********************************** Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com - Hospital Jobs Classifieds. *******************************************************************************
Ya but...Learning that milky spore does a good job controlling Japanese Beetles, I also learned that the adults can wing it from a mile away. Unless you can at least control your entire neighborhood your effort will be noble rather than effective. Last year, I bought traps with pheromones. It worked great! I collected hundred of the little suckers from all my neighbors lots. :(

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 04:03:20 -0500, "J.Caldwell"

Sounds lke you are doing the neigbhor hood a favor. If your land is treated, the beetles can lay all they want, but the grubs on your land will die too soon before they do any damage. So, all you're doing with those traps is spending money and being neighborly.
Good luck,
tom

**************** http://www.Intertainia.com *********** Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com *******************************************************
galt snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dave) wrote:

your milky spore bacteria. You have to let the grubs feed on the spore, and then die from milky disease for it to start working.
If you have had bad grub problems you may want to consider Merit, or Mach II. Right now would be the time to apply those.
Milky Spore takes -lots- of patience, and crossing your fingers. :)

You are right, directions recommend two years of 'seeding' the ground with the granular stuff. Right now my house is being pelted with beetles, and they are crawling all over my trees. And it hasn't been two full years yet, so I suspect my grass is going to take some damage this fall. :(
later,
tom
**************** http://www.Intertainia.com *********** Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com *******************************************************
snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

have accumulated enough dead grubs to protect your soil. Every grub that dies from the milky disease contibutes to the spore population of your soil. <short description for people that aren't familiar with the milky spore approach>

Very small, so any 'damage' looks significant. 5000sq-ft
later,
tom
**************** http://www.Intertainia.com *********** Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com *******************************************************
snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

Ha ha ha, I think you're right.
Today I'm being invaded by brown and metalic beetles. Even thought my lawn should be fully protected next year from grubs, my trees and plants are being attacked. :(
As you can tell from my lot size, I don't have many trees also.
boo hoo hooo
later,
tom
***************** Check Us Out ***************** http://www.CarFleaMarket.com Bringing back low-cost online car ads to the web!
snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

of your ornamentals.

Not a tree hugger, but I'm kinda leary with using pestisides. Especially ones that will require me to continueously apply them.
Gunna break down and hang in my neighbors yard tonight a bag-a-bug trap. Might draw them away from my tree. :(