Making a new lawn

Hi, I have a small front garden approx 60 sq.metres and wish to make it into a lawn (We already have a fair sized rear lawn). At present it contains various bushes, shrubs and plants which will all have to be taken out.
Having done that what is the best way to proceed? I hear various advice. Should I put a membrane down to discourage weeds coming through, or apply strong weedkiller etc?
Any advice gratefully received as I have never attempted this kind of thing before.
Regards John

John:
If you have the plants out - depending on your location and the type of grass you want, it might not be too late to plant grass seed. Sounds like that is what you want in the long run. Otherwise, you might try Round up to kill the existing plants and then weed barrier to keep growth down until you are ready to plant, though the latter may not be needed.
HTH,
Nick
-- Nick Owen http://www.gardentodo.com A task management tool for gardeners Free web-based personal garden journals

For what, to kill the weeds?

If its a garden there probably arent many weeds. I say just clean it out and sod, deal with the few weeds left over with some selective broadleaf killer.
Many thanks for lots of good advice
John

Yeah good top soil and sunlight usually discourages weeds, right?

LOL in a perfect world! But what I was thinking of was a maintained garden. Its mostly "deseriable" plants since most/all weeds have been well weeded.

Yeah ok, pass the weed over here when you're done with it, Mike. :#)

Haha okay will do. I guess i shouldn't assume that all gardens are weed free like mine, but im a weed nazi!