Lawnmower Not Running So Good

Here's an odd one... for me, at least...

I've got a lawnmower that's about 1 and a half years old, ran great all last year. Before the first time I used it this year, I added new gas (the old stuff was drained), and changed the oil. Started right up, ran fine for a month, then all of a sudden, it sounds like it wants to stall. I cleaned it, changed the air filter, it still didn't help. Please note that it starts right up, and runs good for about a minute, two at the most, THEN it sounds like it's going to stall, but never does. And another odd thing going on, is that when it's really low on gas, it runs great! And when it does run great, I can tell it's going to die in about 20 seconds because the gas is gone. I fill it back up (new gas), and it goes back to running like crap.

Also, it is NOT a really good mower where I can control the idle speed either.

Any ideas? Any CHEAP/EASY ideas? Thanks for the time!

Reply to
ts8586

After many years I started having problems with my tractor backfiring. I correlated this with filling my gas tank with gasohol (E15) for the first time. Someone on this newsgroup recommended "fuel stabilizer" and I tried it (not that that I want to add more $$$ to each tankful!). I mowed my entire yard without any backfires. More testing is needed but I think E15 is a loser.

Reply to
Stubby

E15 wont run well in engines not designed for it, plus it has a shorted shelf life.

Reply to
Mike

Sounds like it is running to rich. Turn the jet in 1/4 turn at a time.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly

Reply to
jsanders

Well, in this area the cheapest gas is from Cumberland Farms (Gulf Gas) and it is E15. The price in NH is approximately 10-cents per gallon less than it is in MA where I live. I don't have a list of what brands are normal gas and which are gasohol, but I though the Fed was mandating a total switch to gasohol.

Reply to
Stubby