lawn winterize

Page 4 of 4
snip

Good lawn winterize? (pain free lawn)
Bob F wrote:

Bob, it is the knowledge of what is going on in a home grown compost pile and that knowledge of how life in the compose pile allows lawn lovers to keep life in the soil underneath their lawn so as to improve the natural health of the lawn I was speaking of.
traditionally speaking most home compost piles get moved onto the garden in the fall and then cut into the soil. sometimes some of the compost ends up in flower beds or flower pots.
the lawn naturally produces the compose best suited for its needs. they are called grass clippings. mulching mowers do a one or two fold better job of returning these clippings to the lawn than do side discharge mowers. the concept itself works best when the lawn is cut on a frequent and regular schedule meaning we are reducing the amount of grass being removed by the mowing process. infrequent mowing will generate more clippings than the lawn can handle and produce the result of thatch build up which in and of itself procreates a host of other devastating problems for the lawn. people who are not willing to mow twice a week instead of once a week will usually receive no great benefit from a mulching mower.
as for attempting to apply traditional homemade compost to a lawn? my vision of that process appears to be a costly one as a result of the drying, grinding and more grinding in order to obtain a dry granular product with consistencies favorable for broadcast spreaders.
best, Jim

over
Well Bob, you take a shovel and sling it all over an area. Then, you take a leaf rake and rake it in. Or, you could dump a pile in an area and use a bow rake to rake it out, then turn it over, tines up, to work it in.

compost
take
better
Wuss... Okay, Google> John Deere> Loader> Manure Spreader

You scoop up a shovelfull and fling it. With a bit of practice you can get pretty controlled flings- my husband is very good at it. He hand topdressed 20,000 sq ft of lawn this way just last month.
--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Yep. It doesn't take a lot of practice to spread it pretty evenly and we are not talking "exactly even" here anyhow, just a generaly even cover with no piles or obvious bare spots gets it.
A good scoopshovel or big flat shovel is the best tool.
Harry K