lawn winterize

Hi, I'm new to the group, but thought I'd jump in and give my 2 cents worth. I'm right there with you, Grizzly. In fact, I had to laugh at my brother-in-law who just moved out here. He thought it was important to mow and rake all 15 acres of my place. I tried to explain the bush hog twice a year concept, but he was proud of the nice looking "lawn." I tried to explain the difference between a "lawn" and a "pasture," but he didn't get that either. I told him he was probably the laughing stock of the community. Everyone was saying, "look at that crazy California city boy out there push mowing the pasture, raking, and wheelbarrowing it down to the burn pit!" Now, I drew the line when he tried to make the teenage boys help him rake in the 100+ degree, 60% humidity Arkansas summer heat wave. If he wanted to suffer from heat stroke, more power to him. But, the kids weren't going to rake that up. It could stay where it was.

Reply to
cheree

OK, so maybe it is just a patch of three inch high weeds, but it looks OK to me and it is a lot less work than trying to maintain a stereotypical suburban lawn.

Reply to
BR

Cash cows.

Reply to
Steveo

Yet, you /still/ didn't restore the missing group. Your excuse this time would be that it was too early?

Well, it is, and that's the way it'll be. I'll be the one to choose what, when, and where I post. I snipped what was irrelevant to my reply, and my reply was more relevant to a.h.l.g., so that's where the flup went.

Again, I'll post as I see fit, in accordance with subject matter to which I'm replying.

And, my post went to all of the groups, but the flup was set to the group that was most relevant. If they choose to reply to the sub-thread, they can do so, or not. The name of the group is *not* rec.lawn.garden. The sub-thread had *nothing* to do with gardens. My flup went where it should.

That's *you*, not me. I choose to post to the more appropriate group.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I always enjoy a good city boy moved to the country story. thank you for this one.

Reply to
Jim

Eggs Zachtly expounded:

Do what you want. I'm not the only one who restored the followups you set. I'll just do as I please from now on, also.

Reply to
Ann

Sure you are. Only four people have replied to this sub-thread: You, BR, Steveo, and myself. BR and Steveo both left the flup as I set it. I have no hard-kills set for this group. Who else does do you see that restored the groups? Noone. So, it seems that only *you* have a problem with it.

That's as it should be. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

what about those in your kill file? how is it you know what they do?

Reply to
Jim

yep.

noting your additional explanation contained here.

so what happened right here? btw - I was being tolerant. now I'm asking.

that was rather observant of you. can you tell me who originally cross posted this thread across the

3 groups?

why would I want to bother you Eggs?

I read it. the proper an accepted term is and always has been 'killfile' and would have by itself made unnecessary the additional explanation you included in 'this' reply of yours..

Eggs, you know how top posting sort of bothers you enough to the point of where you'll actually in your reply state "[top-posting fixed]" at the beginning of your replies to a top poster? doing that habitually as you do projects an image of you as being one who attempts to impose their will upon others. is it your will or is it what's been established as usenet acceptable you desire to have others conform to?

had a marvelous day, thank you.

rate the relevance of this conversational exchange for subject topic matter pertinency towards anyone of the news groups it has been posted in.

Reply to
Jim

Did you even read the paragraph, that you quoted, below? Pay particular attention to the sentence, "I have no hard-kills set for this group.". Any downscored posters are only marked as read. Simply viewing "All Posts" reveals everyone that posted to the thread.

I've noticed that you re-added misc.rural, Jim. I'm guessing you did it to try and bother me, somehow. You failed, miserably. All that you've proved is that you failed to read (comprehend?) the post to which you replied. ;)

HTH, HAND

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I'm not sure I understand your question, sorry. Ann stated that she wasn't the only one that had restored the crossposted groups, when clearly she was.

Thanks. Once in a great while, I have my moments. =)

That would be you. =)

That's one thing that I couldn't figure out.

It's been the accepted practice since the inception of The USENET (and before, actually). It has nothing at all to do with 'imposing my will upon others'. There are crap newsreaders out there [1], that place the cursor at the first line of the reply, before the attribution line, which forces the user to top post (which, they wrongly do, until it is pointed out to them that /very/ few groups accept top-posting as their preferred method of replying), or manually place their reply inline (proper), or at the end of the quoted material (just as bad as top-posting), or they completely bork quotes, line length, etc.

Then there's G2, which is desperately trying to convince it's users that Google Groups is somehow, something that Google came up with. It's simply an interface to The USENET, an archive, and nothing more. It also borks quotes something awful, and it's getting worse with each release. It was good that Google took over the DejaNews archive, but even the archive is borked now. =(

Great to hear it. Hope the weather in your area has turned for the better. It sure has here. Had to get the Carharts out this morning, HEH. =D

I'll leave the groups, and not set a flup. Perhaps a user or two will pickup on proper posting habits. A simple search on GNKSA and/or netiquette would do those that don't understand, a world of good. =)

[1] Such as Forte Agent (and Free Agent), OE, AOL, Opera, XanaNews, G2, etc, none of which has past the GNKSA, and likely never will.
Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Eggs Zachtly expounded:

No, actually, I was mistaken, it wasn't in this thread that someone restored the crossposts you snipped, it was another. Doesn't matter. You want to be in charge, but so do others. Time to get over it.....

Reply to
Ann

Happy gardening, Ann. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I was in Lowes yesterday passing through the lawn & garden dept when a woman asked for advice. Her hubby wants a golf course look & feel to their lawn. Earlier in the summer he got a restricted use pesticide license just to buy insecticide to kill all the earthworms in the yard because he could feel the little mounds when he walked on the grass. Evidently used it all on one application. She was there to get off the shelf pesticide to kill the "army worms" in the lawn. When asked to describe the army worms, her description wasn't even close. After a long discussion about the improbable perfect lawn, and seeing what their goal was, I finally gave up.

Red

Reply to
Red

DDT?

Reply to
Steveo

Sounds like a regler maroon to me. Tell him to get some Dylox, eat it and then piss it onto the lawn. That's what the porfeshnul golf course dudes do.

Actually, if true, the man should be in jail.

Reply to
do_see

Wife didn't say which one. I don't think you can buy DDT in the US can you? Don't see it on the restricted list.

Reply to
Red

No it has been banned.

It was a tongue in cheek question, never mind. I try to avoid most of the bizarre inquiries in here as much as I can. Less flames.

Reply to
Steveo

Even when there's a drought in many places? :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not a serious suggestion at all: Grind to aspirin-size bits in your food processor. A year later, when that's done, spread it on the lawn.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom